Sunday, February 24, 2008

We did the birthdays.


We have this picture taken of Darin and the kids every year on his big day.


The requested Red Velvet cake for dessert. Turned out red, don't you think?! It was vERY delicious. After two days in a row of birthdays, and not meeting my 25 miles weekly goal, I am in serious trouble these days!


And of course, a guitar for the birthday boy. Perhaps inspired by Guitar Hero, Darin thought it might be fun to learn how to play the acoustic guitar. I turned to Craig's List to see what I could come up with, and sure enough found this beauty available in Colorado Springs. I met a strange, but friendly musician who had to sell his instrument to buy new tires. After serenading me in the Park-n-Ride parking lot where we agreed to meet, I bought his guitar. I think he was sad to see it go. But I am pleased to report that it will be much loved here. On the first night Darin knocked out "Twinkle, Twinkle", "The Inch Worm", and "Frolic", all tunes out of his "Teach yourself the Guitar" book that I gave along with the instrument. He is well on his way to making this guitar proud. Scott, next time you have a gig in SLC, please be sure and let Darin know. I'm sure he'd add a lot to the gigging. Thanks.

Anyway, birthdays now checked off the list, let's hope to get a few more things accomplished this week, rather than just partying and eating.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

sarah said...

I love the nuts on half the cake! Who eats which part? Looks like you did it up right. Way to go. And Happy Birthday everyone.

Ie Li said...

What a great gift Annee! I really want to teach myself how to play the ukulele. Can you please drop some hints to Steve when my birthday comes around?

Brooke said...

I think Darin's new nickname should be Jason Bourne, as it appears he can do anything! Happy Birthday Darin...hope you had a great day!
Brooke

sara b said...

Happy Birthday to all! That cake looks soooooo delicious. How do you even make a red velvet cake? I wouldn't know where to start.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I was looking forward to some kumbayah photos on the side of the freeway.

Rachel F. said...

Ah I love red velvet... so delicious. And so much red food coloring!

Although it does take several thorough brushings for your mouth to return to its normal color.

Karin said...

I'm impressed with the newly discovered talent, Darin! And I thought red velvet cake was a Hawkes side tradition- a yummy one in deed!

Katie said...

I think the hot pink velevet is really cool. Perfect for a guitar playing father of little princesses.
Darin, you rock!