Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Milestones Are Exciting!


It was another beautiful day on Saturday. With Darin feverishly re-organizing our kitchen, so as not to get in his way, I realized that I could take the boys out bike riding on the trail and get a run in at the same time. I have been waiting for this day for what feels like forever. I knew we'd get here eventually. I so much want to instill in my children the importance and joy of being outside and exercising. Of course, Henry instantly said he didn't want to go. It would be boring he told me. Of course, I knew it wouldn't be boring. We did five miles together. George and I were pretty much the same pace. He liked riding beside me because then I could push him up the hills. Our turn-around point was a dirt bike park where they got to ride over a few sweet jumps. It was SO great. I told them they were invited to come with me anytime and that we should make it a Saturday morning tradition. At the end, of course Henry admitted that he had no idea it could be so fun to go bike riding. They were so proud and surprised at their ability to ride 5 miles, which to them seemed very far. Mother always knows best. Oh, and you should see my kitchen cupboards and draws! Never have you beheld such organized spaces. Darin has so many talents!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

whqat great weekend. that weather sounds so lovely. that run sounds wonderful with your two little men. our church was cancelld today after sacrament meeting because the snowstorm was turning out to be so heavy. we will have to settle with sledding and snowboarding for the next several weeks at least.

Ie Li said...

What a lovely outing! It is so important to get outside. The sun always lifts my spirits.

sarah said...

I am so jealous. It sounds great to take the kids on a bike ride. Scott got me a beautiful new bike for Christmas that has not yet made it out of the garage. Way to take advantage of a nice day. BTW where were the girls? "Helping" Darin organize?

Annee said...

Yes, they spent their morning assisting Darin.

Brooke said...

i remember being the bike rider along with my runner mom. some of my best memories, those late summer evenings when the weather finally cooled.

i always dreamed i would do this with my own kids too... but i've forgotten how to run. it's the strangest of phenomena. :)