First of all, it was time to make dinner. Possibly the busiest and potentially most frustrating time of the day for a mother. Secondly, it was FREEZING cold outside. Thirdly, I had no shoes on and a short sleeved t-shirt. But Jane came to me and wanted to swing.
First of all, I told her she was in her night gown. (That's because sometime in the late afternoon she was playing a game with a sleeping bag and thought a nightgown would be the best outfit choice for the game). So she went and put her sweatshirt on, all by herself, inside out.
Secondly, I told her it was time to make dinner. To which she replied, "Look mommy, the clouds are pink. That means we are happy." That got me to take my first step outside. She knows I love the view of the sunset off the back porch. I'm the one who taught her to look at it in the first place.
Thirdly, I told her I had no shoes or coat on. So she ran around the house and found my shoes, and brought me my red coat. She told me it was pretty. And even told me that the stairs were all clean, so that I would be even more willing to go out there with her.
At which point, I had nothing left. A little girl who had worked so hard to get her mother's attention, who just wanted to go outside and swing, deserved to have a mother who would stop what she was doing and go outside to help her swing.
Thank you Jane for helping me not miss the sunset tonight. Thank you Jane for making me stand for ten minutes in the freezing cold in my red coat that you think is pretty, so that I could breath in the cool winter air and be reminded so positively that not only are you a child of God, but that I am too. And that at that very moment He loved us both so much that He turned the clouds pink so that we would step outside and remember Him. Even though I thought I was too busy. Because had I been too busy for even two minutes longer, I would have missed the pink clouds entierly. And that was my lesson in life today.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
It Was Time To Make Dinner...
Posted by Annee at 9:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Wow Annee that made me cry. You are a great mom. And good job remembering to capture the moment in pictures.
yeah, it's true... thanks for your example and thanks for being willing to blog.
Love,
Zack
Zack! Great to hear from you.
That was a beautiful post Annee. You make me want to wake Mei Li up from her nap and play with her. Almost. Anyway, you're a good mom.
Beautiful lesson. The very best kind. Thanks for sharing it with us. Those are the moments that build our kids confidence I think. The fact that you would drop it all to swing and enjoy God's gift. Lovely.
I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add you to my list of bloggers. I like to see what you have to say, so, I want it to be more accesible, if you object, let me know!
Don't mind at all Mandy. I'm happy to call you friend :) In fact I'm honored.
Loved the reminder to take a moment for each child. I also loved that it was a moment just for you and Jane. I think I would have called out all the kids to get it over with. maybe this was b/c Ruby was still sick, but still- good one-on-one time nonetheless... Great sunset picture, too!
that was lovely.
Ie Li read me this post over the phone the other day, and you had us both tearing up! Thanks for sharing such a cute story. (This is Michiko, Ie Li's sis-in-law, by the way . . .)
Post a Comment