Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No "T" left un-crossed today.

8:50am. The girls and I are ready for the gym. We are going to be there first thing, because we have a Valentine's day party to attend at 10am. A lingering feeling as I am pulling my van onto the freeway, gets me to call my friend Kristine to verify the start time of the party. Of course, lingering feeling is correct, party is starting at that very moment. Exit freeway one stop up, u-turn back onto freeway. Show up at party with festively dressed little girls. Mingle and chat with the ladies. Make George feel supported and loved. Leave the party.



10:10am. Now pull van into the YMCA. A mini melt-down drama with Jane about whether she should attend the 3 year-old class or the 2 year-old class. She thinks she should get to go to the 1 year-old class. Let Ruby decide. She chooses the 3's. Drop Jane off in a chair, crying. I'm in a hurry. 4.6 miles later back to pick girls up to be back to the elementary school to get George. Party is over.


11:25am. Pull into school parking lot. Aquire George. Quickly speed off to Subway for a lunch for Henry. I promised I'd dropped one off in time for lunch at 11:50 because he simply could not do with the scheduled grilled cheese the cafeteria was offering, nor did he like peanut butter today, which is what I was offering.

11:50am. Pull back into school parking lot. Find Henry at recess hand off Subway lunch, for which his smile was pay backs enough for the effort.
12:00pm. With a break in the schedule and some Subway sandwhiches to eat, we decide we owe it to ourselves to have a picnic at the park. Not to mention that it is 55 degrees as we pull up to the park. We think we should stay at the park the whole rest of the day!




Running endorphins in full swing, mingled with the vitamin D from the sunshine, I am feeling on top of the world at the picnic. Things are going well.... Look at the clock, remember a dentist appointment.

12:30pm. Pull van into driveway. Tell kids we will be inside the house for 18 minutes while mom showers and dresses. We will then return to the van to speed off to the dentist. The team agrees with the plan. We put plan into motion.


12:55pm. A little later than hoped for, despite the world's fastest shower and hair blow dry, none the less, I won't be defeated. To the dentist we go.



1:10pm. Arrive at dentist, and George is none too pleased. I promise to tell the dentist people that we will take a break from the dentist after day, and not return for one full month. With that, George enters the elevator. Me and my mini me's spend 45 minutes in waiting room. We venture to the bathroom several times. Eat marshmellows. Color. Talk. Talk. Talk. (That's them talking, not me. I just stare off into space as much as possible during this breif time sitting in waiting room.)





2:00pm. Leaving dentist. Remember Henry's valentine's day party is starting at 2:10pm. Tell the girls we will get them some chicken and fries on our way back to the school. Apparently the lunch picnic was not so satisfying to them. Drive through Wendy's and everyone feels festive once again.

2:20pm. Pull back into school parking lot. Just as Jane is telling me Ruby is sleeping. I would like to be sleeping too at this point. Ask Ruby to wake up. Promise all the children we won't stay long. But Henry wants us to come, so we are showing up for him. Ruby peps back up and puts on her party face. We mingle and chat again with the other mom's and make Henry feel happy.


3:15pm. Finally get to leave the Valentine's day party. Enough partying for one day. We are all feeling the drag. On our way out to the car, I remember that there will be nothing waiting for us for dinner tonight. Tell all the children we must run by grocery store on our way home. I pull into the 15 minute parking with Henry as my babysitter, I promise to be RIGHT BACK, in five minutes.





3:45pm. Finally pull van back into driveway. Jane has fallen asleep. We all walk in. Put dinner in oven. Walk up to Ruby's room, with shoes still on and lay down on her bed. She soon finds me and says she will lay down next to me, not because she is tired, just to play with me. Five minutes later we have both fallen momentarily asleep.


4:15pm. I wake up and remember that many things need to be cleaned up from having fled the house at 8:50 this morning! To myself I silently declare this the longest day.


And if you are still reading this, you are feeling that way too. It seriously kept on going. Dinner, cleaning up, playing, cub scouts, car pooling, back to the grocery store. It just kept going and going. But it is alas finally over! I get a moment to sit at the computer alone and the house is all quiet. I think I did it. I think I didn't forget anything today. A small triumph. Good night.

8 comments:

sarah said...

Wow what a day! I'm impressed you made it to everything and even took time to blow dry! I definitely would have dropped that. That was a good plan to dress the girls in their party clothes even to go to the gym. What a super mom! Hope you get to have a more relaxing Valentine's Day tomorrow.

junioraudio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
junioraudio said...

honestly, if all i had to do was post that blog, i would have given up. good job super mom

Mandy said...

What a day! I do wonder sometimes how mothers are capable of doing all of that in one day. Not one minute went wasted! I am totally impressed with how productive you were. I wish I squeezed in a 4 mile run. Way to go!

Ie Li said...

whew! My favorite part is the smile from Henry after receiving his subway sandwich. Oh! and I liked "4.6 miles later" as if it's a walk around the block. You're amazing Annee.

Karin said...

i'm tired from reading it. Guess I could go make my bed and check one thing off my to-do list today...

Sandy said...

That's why I love Annee!! What an inspiration to "keep going".

Temporarily on vacation. I'll keep going when I get back.

Katie said...

Oh, this is totally my life! Except with remembering the things too late.