Has been sunny and bright. Here are a few reasons why:
We successfully constructed another award winning Pinewood Derby car. Not quite the first place of last year, but second isn't bad considering we felt like we built it with hands tied behind our back, you know since we live in Korea and don't have Home Depot and all. Congrats to Henry and Darin. Job well done boys!
We got to babysit this cute dog Isabel. Not exactly my idea of fun, but a valuable lesson passed on from my own mother. My mother insisted that we would never own a dog, but she was always willing to babysit cute small dogs belonging to other people. It really is a brilliant idea. However, babysitting Isabel only confirmed to me all the more that indeed, "We will never own a dog." She followed me all around the house as if she was my own little toddler. At least she didn't whine or say "mom", but seriously, I don't need anymore shadows.
We had glorious weather for three days straight. My days consisted of offering to take the girls outside to each and every playground on base, where I would quickly find the direction the sun was shining and lay myself directly in it's cancer inducing rays. The vitamin D has never been so appreciate by any living soul. And my girls thought that all that laying down was part of the game, in every instance, talk about brilliant!
As a side note, one time this week when we were walking to a park, Ruby spotted a beautiful full azalea shrub. As we passed it she said to me, "Mom, when I die, will you lay me out here in these flowers?" I was so confused at first because I had no idea what the correct answer to that question was. But then a quick scan through the memory helped me recall that all of her favorite princesses at one time or another temporarily die and get laid out on a pile of beautiful flowers. I quickly reassured her that should she ever fall into an enchanted death, we would indeed find that particular patch of azalea to lay her in. She seemed completely satisfied.
A while back, somewhere after the green polka dot dress, but before the yellow one. Around the pajama bottoms but before a baby blanket, Ruby suggested that she needed a caterpillar shirt. Music to my ears! Late one night this week a caterpillar creation was constructed. And I do believe it is the exact shade of happiness and joy. I did that on purpose.Darin always blames me for asking leading questions which result in statements like "Ruby wanted a caterpillar shirt". I swear, as God is my witness, that no such leading questions are ever asked. These girls are marrow from my bones, and requesting a caterpillar shirt is akin to any child requesting a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. Fabric creations are now part of our daily colloquium.
Much spontaneous crafting has occurred this week. And short of the laundry getting folded, or having fresh flowers on the kitchen table, nothing tickles me as much as walking past one of the children only to find them engaged in a creative pursuit:
Henry's new church clothes also arrived in the mail this week. I feel like he is growing right before my eyes. Have you ever seen such a fine young man?
P.S. My sister Rachel has mentioned posting one picture a day in May. Maybe I should too?!

8 comments:
Twin girls never looked so fun. I love your hair. It is so long.
Your hair IS so long. You look beautiful. I'm so glad the weather is nice for you over there. It's raining over here. But at least it's warm.
I love the story about Ruby and the azalea bush.
Whew! What a post! I loved it. And your creations are as darling as ever. I love your Mom's little dog policy--it does seem like a good compromise, but the whole germ factor (even if temporary) causes me angst. We have a small dog living next door which fortunately seems to be enough to fulfill our girls' dog needs.
You're right! That is the exact shade of happiness. How I hope my daughter will ask me for a caterpiller dress someday . . .
Nice pictures. We will never own a dog and dog sitting sealed the deal for us. My kids always swear they will help take care of the dog. So we babysit a dog for a weekend and they didn't help once! They would take her on walks but they were too scared to hold her. They even admitted that they were not ready to own one!
Way to go on the win even if it is 2nd!
How nice of you to dog sit. Hopefully if was the fix your kids needed.
I love the caterpillar outfit especially because it was requested. I also love that your kids have the creative bug inside of them.
Lastly, the Yellow Polka Dot dress is as darling as its twin!
Oh, and I love the 1 a day pictures in May idea.
I have too many comments to make! I really like the new outfits and dresses; seriously, you are SO talented! I am so glad I was the one to introduce HQ...you won't ever forget me or be able to fogive me! And Ruby...she says the funniest things...you're right about the whole princess deaths! She is a princess at heart. About dogs, I really, really don't like them. But, my oldest J has been begging for a Beagel; I've been seriously considering it when we move...now I am NOT! Thanks for the reminder to get myself together. Who needs a dog with 3 kiddos and one more on the way...not me! Besides I have already broken one big promise...you read the blog, right? Sorry about writing a chapter here! It was great to see you for a minute today :)
I love the girls' dresses. When you come back to the states, I need sewing lessons from you and Liz when we get together. You don't post pictures of yourself very often, but I love the picture of you. You look great! Love your hair longer. -Eliza
Post a Comment