Thursday, May 14, 2009

On Saturday before we left...

Darin gave me the day off for Mother's Day. It was sweet of him, he's good at stuff like that. I went up to Seoul with some ladies from Church. We were spiritually fed, and when we came home I got a pedicure. Then I was temporally fed. I said to Darin while we were on Jeju Island,

"Darin, if you want to know something about my happiness, it is very simple. At times, I require only two things to be happy. One is the sun. Two is a nice pedicure. You have given me both all within a weeks time. Thank you so much."

I hope he learned a little something about me on Jeju Island.

But while I was going to be gone for a full day, we discussed what Darin could do with the kids to fill up a long Saturday. Jane was coveting a Barbie Thumbelina doll. We don't have commercials on TV here in Korea. But on websites, they play commercials. That's crafty of those websites. And I would like to bear my testimony about it's efficacy. Jane wants everything that she sees a commercial for from the Barbie website. Everything.

The Thumbelina doll was the latest item that she needed for her true happiness to be complete. I totally lied to her.

I told her I would buy her a Thumbelina doll at the BX the next time we were there. And the only reason I did that was because I was 110% sure that we would never find such a doll at the Osan BX.

When Jane heard Darin and I discussing the plans for Saturday, and that a trip to the BX was on the docket she exploded with jubilation that she would get a Thumbelina doll that day. Darin began to protest, but I quietly pulled him aside and said, "We're totally safe. There won't be any Thumbelina dolls at the BX. Just tell her you'll buy one and she'll love you for the rest of her life."










Guess what they had at the Osan BX on Saturday?!

Seriously, I had no idea.

But I think I didn't lie about one thing, she really will love him for the rest of her life. Even though I am the one who got to pose in the pictures with the beloved dolls.









We will ALL love you for the rest of our lives, Darin.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Hilarious. Great story. And thank you for bearing your testimony.

My favorite picture is of Jane and Ruby both closing their eyes. Was that planned?

Adam and Sariah said...

Isn't it funny, sad, how the BX seems to have everything that you DON'T need and nothing that you DO need at times? HA! Great story, but hey, if that is all it takes to secure love forever from those ladies then it is a small price to pay I am sure. Your trip looked like it ended up being a fun adventure. How great to get away without the little ones. Hope you soaked up the time alone.

Alyssa said...

ahh.. thats so cute.

Samantha said...

I'd like to bear you my testimony Annee, I know those things are true, a score at the local BX will buy you all the love and happiness you desire (especially overseas), oh and I love my mom and dad.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Funny.