Liz scored us a rescue from Fairfield, California and Travis AFB. Thanks to a larger car loaned to her by a friend we are now enjoying the abundant beauty of the Bay Area. And I have to say that it is really fun to be a tourist again, when I look at things through the eyes of my kids. So far on this trip, the boys have been so excited about all the places we've been, the Golden Gate Bridge being the latest highlight.Thanks to Liz and John for being our excellent tour guides today, they drove us to the city and straight to parking garages without a single wrong turn. That my friends, is worth a million dollars in my opinion!
Before we drove to the Golden Gate bridge, George begged me to stop and pick him up a disposable camera. I can't tell you how fun it is to watch him finding his shots, think about what he's looking at, and how he wants to remember our time in San Fransisco. Henry has one too, and together they talk about not wasting pictures, or taking turns handing each other the camera so they can have pictures of themselves. It's all very fascinating and entertaining. I am determined to help them craft photo albums before our trip is over.
Every now and again I make them pose for a shot on my camera. Here they stand in front of Alcatraz. This is the first time our kids have been to San Fransisco, I am sure it won't be the last. This is a great trip to give them a flavor, and then I promise next time we'll dig a bit more deeply (as in I'll take them on the boat ride out there to Alcatraz, but maybe I'll wait to do that when I have Darin with me too). Other highlights have been the Sea Lions at The Wharf, driving on Lombard street, passing the Giants stadium while a game was being played and getting to hear the crowds cheering.
And of course, ending the quintessential California Tourist day with dinner at In-n-Out. Delicious! And in case you are wondering how it feels to walk into a Target for the first time in a year, there really aren't any words to describe the visual entertainment that Target offers to the deprived eye. It was simply lovely! Our time at Target was equally enjoyed by all five of us. Thank you Darin for letting us come HOME!! We are so happy to be here.

4 comments:
How touching! It is fun to hear your joy for all the little blessings you notice. God is in the details. Your children will remember your excitement as much as they remember the trip home. It will be fun to see some sights from the boys' perspective.
I'm so glad you made it and that you are having a wonderful time.
I love hearing about the disposable cameras. At George's age, I wasn't concerned about capturing the moment. It's so mature of him. Maybe he'll grow up to be a photographer.
I can only imagine your first trip to Target in a year. Target is a magical place.
I don't know if Kim has already informed you, but we've already scheduled a book club around your visit to CS. haha. We're so excited to see you again, we're reading Crossing to Safety and having the discussion on July 2nd (hopefully that works). We thought it might be fun to have it at your favorite local restaurant too. :) Can you tell we've missed you!!
Welcome back to the STATES!! Enjoy California and visiting family and friends!
P.S. If you can't make it to our book club, don't worry. We know you've probably got a lot of things you'd like to do while you're here.
Sounds delightful. I'm so jealous of your "old" kids who can sight-see and pull their own suitcases.
Post a Comment