Thursday, May 28, 2009

I feel just like her.


Never do I feel more like my mother than when I embark upon an adventure. I feel the strength of her spirit, the legacy of her lessons pulsing through my with every midnight mile that I drive.

As a kid, I always felt like my mother was fearless. I remember watching her and wondering how one became so brave. But as a mother, there is hardly anything I want more for my children than for them to feel brave and bold. And if it means that I have to perform with more bravado than I would under normal circumstances, I'll do it, for them.

Like when we reached Elko late and travel weary and ready for a rest, but couldn't find any hotel available and the kids turned to me with a touch of panic in their voices and said, "What will we do mom?!". I was proud to be able to harness her memory and say firmly to them, "We will go on guys. It will be fine." And maybe, just maybe, when they look back and reflect upon their childhoods I will stand as the same sort of strong and fearless character that my mother was to me. I feel grateful that frequently the most profound lessons are learned and taught without much effort. Someday they will understand the metaphor of our moments, and hopefully push on when they least think they can.

7 comments:

Ie Li said...

Yes, your mother is a great example of bravery. As are you.

Bravery is something I'm often lacking, but the longer I mother, the more I realize cowardice is not an option.

Liz said...

Oh no, does that mean you drove all the way to Provo??? I hope I didn't mislead you by telling you to go to Elko.

Thank goodness that your mother raised you to be brave, so that you didn't panic with your children. I believe your mother also has strong problem solving abilities, she is a math major, and I think she passed along the problem solving skills as well.

Wherever you ended up, you definitely get to call yourself brave, bold, and fearless.

Annee said...

No, no, I made it as far as Wendover that first day of driving. I would have stopped in Elko, per your suggestion, but all the places that looked safe to stop at were full.

Ie Li, cowardice is definitely not an option as a mother. Nothing like being force to stand tall and lead the way.

Nancy O. said...

Annee- call me if you have a chance, I tried to call you, you are close by, maybe I could see you, let me know what your schedule is, Nancy

Christy said...

I love this. I have seen myself change a lot since being a mother. You really will do anything to protect your children. No hesitation, you just do it.

p.s. I love the Z shirts!

Karin said...

What a nice tribute- so well put. With all the solo traveling you do, you can definitely count yourself as one of the brave ones!

Grandma Z said...

Thank you, Annee, that is a sweet tribute. Dad says it is because we are from pioneer stock. I'm sure you were also saying the same prayer in your heart that I have. We have had some good times, haven't we?! I'm pleased to know my grandkids are in such good hands. Take care of their mom for me, too. XOXO