Sunday, May 17, 2009

George ran a race on Friday.

The boys came home from school and I told them that I had signed them up for the "America's Kids Run" race at the High School track.  Henry informed me he would not be participating in the above mentioned race.  He had an assortment of bad reasons why, and I let it go.  But George, he was on board.

 

 

 

 

He took third place in his age group, and the boost of confidence that it infused him with was worth every bit of effort it took to get him there.  Unfortunately we were late, so they were out of the kids size t-shirt, but even that he took in stride.  It's hard to tell sometimes if he was loving it so much just because he knew that I did.  But you know, even if that is part of the reason, that's sweet of him, so I guess I won't worry too much about that.  

The part I was most proud of... he paced himself!  When other kids had to drop out on the second lap, he was still running strong!  He had listened to me at the start line, and as hard as it was, he let the other kids speed past him in the beginning, because I told him if he would hold back in the beginning, he would be able to beat them at the end.  I was right, but it's so rare that kids are able to believe that bit of running advice.  

Later on that night he told me the following story, 

"Mom, there is this girl in my class who told me that she thinks if she's really, really nice to me, I'll want to marry her.  So today, she gave me her snack.  It was gummy bears.  So I guess that was nice of her."  

Good to know the girls are already lining up for our man George.  

4 comments:

Liz said...

I love that you gave him a pacing strategy, but I love even more that he trusted you and took your advice! Even if he was happy to be running b/c it made you happy, in the end what an accomplishment. 3rd place is huge!

Looks like Henry and George are both going to have the ladies after them. Did Henry ever reveal which girl liked him?

Alyssa Lark said...

he's such a sweet boy. love him. and when did he lose his teeth?

sarah said...

way to go george! it is totally sweet for george to let you live vicariously through him.

Ana said...

Way to go George!!! Like mother, like son! :)