We used to have this camera. As in, on Thursday if you asked me to take your picture, I would have, with this camera.
George and I had some friends over for lunch on Thursday. He came to me and asked if he could take some pictures of our friends. I told him I didn't want him to. He came back to me a few minutes later and asked again. And again I had the feeling the answer REALLY should be no. I wanted to say no. I just knew that if I didn't, something was going to happen. But remember, I had friends over, I was trying to be nice so I let him have it. Things went well for a while. And then sure enough I looked over just in time to watch the Cannon PowerShot drop out of his hands onto the hardwood floors. And the Earnests have learned one too many times that that is all it takes for a digital camera to break. So there you have it. Don't drop your camera!! At the end of the day as I was putting the boys to bed I was very calming trying to discuss the situation with George. I asked him what we might learn from this incident. He said, "I guess I can't take pictures with your camera anymore." And I said, "It's not that I'm trying to be mean, it's just that cameras really break that easily." Then I went on to say "It's sad because cameras are so expensive. " And then Henry, over on the other bed got interested in our conversation. He wanted to know just how expensive it might be. And so I said, "Well, it's probably close to $200." Then Henry lamented, "Mom, it just doesn't make any sense. Why do they still have to be so expensive. I mean, cameras have been around for so long, you would think they wouldn't have to cost so much." So I chuckled and agreed and thought it was cute that he worries about so many things. I was really just trying to teach George a lesson in a calm and reasonable way. He's so relentless at times, that I have to use any opportunity as a teaching moment.
The next morning the boys came walking upstairs for breakfast and to go out to the bus. They were dressed in shorts and t-shirts. It was a cool morning, so I wasn't sure if they had picked out the best outfits. So I mentioned to Henry, maybe you guys want to wear something warmer. And he said, "Oh don't worry mom, I watched the news. It's going to be in the high 70's today." And George joined in, "It's true mom, he did. He watches the news now." Apparently they kept fighting over what they should watch in the morning with their precious few minutes before going off to school and Henry got tired of the arguing so just to bug George he told him that if they fight over what to watch, he's just going to watch the news.
As they left the house and it was quiet again, I walked downstairs to straighten up and sure enough the "Today" show was on.
These guys kill me. Each day is a new adventure, and needless to say, I laugh a lot as each one passes! Thought you might get a kick out of these ones.
P.S. Sweden was the country featured tonight. No pictures, for obvious reasons. But I will give you the recipe to some delicious Swedish meatballs. They were so easy and delicious I could handle these ones even on a weeknight. You should try them!!

5 comments:
I can picture each of your boys faces vividly as you talked with them about the camera in their beds. You have come cute boys!
wow annie - you are amazing - I would love to do the "theme" nights like you do - what a great learning experience for your kids! We need to get our kids together - do you have a fall break? we are out oct 12-28th.
I must also admit I am a little disappointed not see pictures of the weekly cultural dinner. Since you have to get a new digital camera, why not sooner rather than later?
Annee, I can tell you about camera repair options. Let's keep those pictures coming. Love, Grandma Z
PS And I love to see those kids-eyes photos, too.
Post a Comment