Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why Girls Are Great! (In case you didn't know already...)

This is beauty to me. And let me tell you why.
We were down in the basement yesterday afternoon, when suddenly the boys decided they would go play in the backyard. Jane heard them talking and wanted to go with them. So she quickly got up from what she was doing in the basement and ran upstairs saying, "I need to find my shoes, I need to find my shoes." Next thing I hear is the thud of each shoe as it is thrown out of the shoe basket. A few minutes later she is next to me again telling me how she cannot find her new shoes. I say they are up on her bed, mind you two flights of stairs way upstairs. This does not deter her. She marches off, all the way up, finds her shoes, puts them on, and goes outside.
Why is this so great to me? A few reasons. For those of you who have boys...at what point in that process would they have given up and come right back into your face to have you get their shoes for them? At least with my boys, I would have been lucky if they had even glanced at the shoe basket. Forget emptying it out, and forget going the extra mile to the upstairs bedroom to get them. Just forget it!

Was it because they are her brand new Crocs? Maybe. But I am more convinced that girls come with a genetic something that makes them good finders. Ladies, can you agree with me here? And there was something about watching my little girl working so hard to find something that just made me smile to know that deep down we are all the same. We were sent here to know how to find things for ourselves and for every other person that we have the privilege of living with... Way to go Jane! I have great confidence that you will be able to find many a lost things throughout your entire life. You make me proud!

p.s.- Why did it take me so long to join the Croc band wagon? These are a genius invention that I should have been enjoying for well over a year now. At least I finally get it now. This has cut down a significant amount of time on our exit from the house time. Thank you Crocs. From your newest loyal customer!

4 comments:

sara b said...

That is so true Annie. Hannah is so capable of finding things. If I tell Benny that he needs to look next to his desk he ALWAYS comes back and says, "Mom, I can't see it" So we both march back to his room and there it is right next to his desk.

Ditto on the crocs thing. It took me such a long time to try them. Although I am still not sold on them for myself.

Annee said...

Yes, that's just the way boys are. Even when they get older, much older, like husbands and dads. So that's why it's so remarkable to see it in girls starting so young! And yes, no crocs for me, I think I would feel like I had my slippers on all day long, but they are wonderful for all the kids!
p.s. you spelled my name wrong. That's funny to me. I know you know how to spell it correctly.

Mickelmonkey Mama said...

We SO often have the problem of lost shoes in the house! But instead of finding the right shoes, my kids just wear someone elses. I've been in the store when I've noticed that Sam has on a pair of too big pink flip flops. Or Emilie will have on a pair of tennis shoes with her dress.

sara b said...

Oh my gosh! I totally did spell your name wrong! I am so sorry! (can you tell by the exclamation points?) Hannah had a spelling test last week with the name Annie in it spelled that way. It must have gotten a little too ingrained in my head that it is spelled that way.

I am so embarrassed!