Monday, September 10, 2007

A New Tradition Sustained Three Whole Weeks in a Row.

It all started three weeks ago when Darin and I made fajitas for dinner after church. When we all sat down to eat Darin tuned his XM radio to some fiesta like music and the boys got all excited like we were at a Mexican restaurant. As the meal went on the ideas got bigger and bigger, and suddenly we were planning a year in advance, naming off all the countries we knew and if they had any food we liked, and could Darin find music to go along with it. This most recent Sunday was Italy. We made homemade pasta and a pizza. The previous week was China and we obtained the recipe for Panada Express Orange Chicken. It's a lot of work, but the kids are really getting into it. George wants it to be Germany this Sunday. I'm not sure what to cook?! Maybe my parents have some good ideas....fries?

Seeing Darin in an apron working side-by-side with his sons is a highlight for me each week. For that reason alone I will carry on the tradition!





Who knew you could actually make Orange chicken. It passed the kids test which was to see if it would taste just like the restaurant. It actually did. I have to admit even I was impressed with a recipe that works just right.


Having country appropriate dresses for our Chinese week was a definate bonus in my opinion. Thanks to aunt Rachel who was in China this spring Jane and Ruby were sporting adorable outfits!

5 comments:

Taylor said...

I love how cute Ruby and Jane look in those pictures. Darin is looking pretty good himself as well I might add...

Rachel F. said...

aw how cute! i'm glad those outfits fit. i almost forgot i bought them.. best part is they cost about $2 each!

what an awesome tradition you have going!! i'm so glad you're instilling in them a love of travel and a curiosity i think we inherited from our mother. i can't wait to see what international adventures they take on as they grow up.

for next week, i recommend spaetzel (sp?), that's a safe german option. hmm maybe i should try to come over when it's swedish meatball night!! or french crepe night!

p.s... pass on that orange chicken recipe!!

sara b said...

I am super impressed! To keep a tradition going for three sundays in a row is a HUGE accomplishment in my book. What a great idea. Our Sunday tradition is not nearly as exciting, we just have waffles for dinner every sunday. I like yours much better. We just might try it!

I too would like the orange chicken recipe.

Mickelmonkey Mama said...

Holy Cow! I must say I am very impressed with the caliber of your theme nights! You go above and beyond! Such fun! As far as German night goes, you can't go wrong with a good schnitzel!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

THis is way cool. I love to see that everyone cooking has smiles- including Darin. The food, music, outfits would take me more than all week to put together. A great post would be the recipe.