Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A Tantrum Like None I Had Ever Seen Before.

And for good reason I might add. For can you imagine if you were two years old and your mother was about to walk out of Target without purchasing these sweet pink shoes? I mean, honestly, can you imagine it? That would be awful. Down right devastating. And if you had to rip your own lame white tennis shoes off in the middle of Target and lay on your back and cry at the top of your lungs about pink shoes, just to get your mother's attention and make sure that she wasn't REALLY about to leave the store without purchasing

THESE BEAUTIFUL PINK SHOES...
You just might have thrown a tantrum yourself!! And I have to admit a certain level of pride in my daughters. At least in this instance they were girls who knew exactly what they wanted. And that kind of determination just might be a trait that I am actually kind of proud of.
Oh happy day we wore pink shoes all afternoon long...and took them to bed with us when we went to sleep.

9 comments:

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

A tantrum like no other is the perfect match for shoes like no others. What amazing creations. And to think you found TWO similar pairs. Imelda Marcos couldn't have done that well. Congratulations, Mom. They are the pink of perfection and sure to be fondly remembered for generations. Thanks for sharing that funny story.

sarah said...

Sometimes it's happened to me where I actually do want to get the thing they're wanting, but don't want them to think they got it just because of the tantrum. How did the exchange go when you told them they could get them?

Annee said...

yes, it's always an internal struggle giving in to the tantrum. In my mind though I just decided it's not like I'm a sucker everytime. There will be plenty of times in the future where I will stand my ground. But this time, well, obviously they truly couldn't live without them. I didn't make a big deal about it. Just put them in the cart and checked out.

Michelle said...

I love this story! All us Mom's have been in that situation at some time. I am the same as you... I give in SOME of the time depending on what it is, I guess. I have a niece who wears those shoes and nothing else. It is the funniest thing to see her clinking around in them.
-Michelle Goold Taylor

Lyons Family said...

is this really what I have ahead of me with a little girl! You handle it much better than I will!! BTW - we have one of your girls pink flip flops here at our house . . .

Annee said...

Hey Rachel. We've been wondering what happened to those shoes. As you can see, they have been replaced by something much more loved! And yes, I think it's inevitable with a daughter to have similar experiences. Have fun!

Karin said...

Well done, Annee. At least your girls are walking around with a sense of pride as you have been humbled by responding to an obvious need. (not "giving in". much to harsh a term...) I am like Sarah though- I've purchased a few items unbeknownst to the tantrumee, to be used as a "super surprise" or bribe later on... ahh, the joys of manipulative children...

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I have so much to say on the subject. I think Annee deserves a hive five for buying the shoes. I remember this sort of thing. YOu could tell your mom wanted to buy you something, but didn't because of rewarding your bad behavior or pride or whatever. But like you said, some determination is good. And your girls have a fabulous sense of style and know the importance of accessorizing- just look at the previous post!

Karin said...

Perhaps that is my problem in fashion. My lack of style is all due to my mom not giving in to early tantrums over needs to express myself through style. Annee, way to make sure your girls learn the art and importance of fashion at such a young age. They must get together with Elizabeth before it's too late!