We all react to times of transition in different ways. George tends to come home from school overly irritable and easily bored. I know he processes things differently than all of his siblings. I know he thinks ten steps ahead of all of them too. I know he's the only one who's thought two thoughts about what happens AFTER June 1st, so I'm trying to be patient and sympathtic.
Imagine how happy I was when he channeled that energy into impromptu art lessons with his sisters.
They froze the screen on a favorite cartoon character and all took to their notepads in silence as they worked on their renderings.
And wanted me to photograph their finished products.
Some of us don't stuggle too much with transitions. As long as there will be a place to get manicures in North America, these ladies will be just fine:
And if I can manage a pedicure before leaving Korea, I think I'm going to transition okay as well. I'll get a little cranky though if "pedicure" does not get checked off of my to-do list in the next five days.
In absence of Henry this afternoon, but with an abundance of blankets, everyone found contentment on my bed for a few breif moments. I was most grateful:
Where was Henry you ask??
He got to go to North Korea with the Major today. I told the Major as he was leaving this morning for his DMZ tour, I said, "If you don't come home, I'll never forgive you." I don't know if you've been seeing the headlines lately?
I'm happy to report, they made it home.
After sitting in a replica of North Korean classroom,
And visiting the Joint Security Area (JSA), and standing all together too close to the enemy in my opinion.
And after hiking into the underground tunnels that were discovered having been dug by the North Koreans.
And after a stop at the very last train station in South Korea where the train has to stop now, without access into North Korea. Where Henry got his passport stamped with some sort of commemorative stamp.
And after making a U-Turn where they saw the freeway entrance into North Korea, but again, no access is allowed.
And they did all of that with enough energy to stop at Chili's before making it home after 9pm. That was a long day, but a great tour. I hope Henry will remember it. And maybe even remember the significance of being there right now. This was the second reason Henry was so excited to turn 10 while in Korea. The first reason was so that he could get his ID card. You have to be 10 in order to go on the DMZ tour, so this was a big-deal-day for Hank!
George got to be late to school by an hour, study his spelling words with me uninterrupted when he got home this afternoon, and go swimming with his little sisters. So yeah, today didn't do anything to help with his irritability or bordem. But I tried to keep him excited by talking all about the process of moving and the details of our travel plans, hotel reservations and plans in the first few days of our arrival at Grandma's house in Utah!
Do we really only have 5 days left?!

3 comments:
What a cool father and son outing! Little scary, but I'm sure that added to the thrill of the adventure.
I can't believe you only have 5 days. Crazy.
That's so cool that Henry was able to go to the DMZ. And at a time with so much drama! Very clever activity for George to think of and lead. I sure hope you get your pedicure. That's on my todo list this week too.
Are you aware that many of the pedicure businesses in our area are owned and operated by Koreans? I discovered this when I used to take Grandma out to be pampered. She never got the Lady GaGa designs that Ruby and Jane have though. Those nails are stunning.
Post a Comment