Today was my last Saturday in Korea.
Darin gave me a day pass to head up to my favorite market in Seoul.
It's been a big week. I said good bye to my friends at Happy Quilt. I've eaten at all my favorite restaurants, one-last-time. And today, I went to say good-bye to Dongdaemun.
I had nothing in mind to buy. Of course I found a few great treasures. Mostly a mustard yellow belt for $4. That made the whole trip worthwhile.
When I was putting Ruby to bed tonight, she said:
"Mom, it's sad that it was your last time in Seoul today."
"Yes", I said, "I'm going to miss Seoul."
She patted my arm and then said,
"Don't worry mom, I think they will have a Seoul in North Carolina."
I felt much better then.
Somehow I don't think the boys felt quite as nostalgic about saying good-bye to Osan American Elementary School on Friday.
I brought doughnuts to George's class, and ice cream sandwhiches to Henry's. I gave little speaches in both classes, telling the kids that it has been a great school year, and how lucky the boys are to have had such nice classes. Both times I had to quit talking sooner rather than later because my voice was starting to get shaky. I must be getting extra emotional in my old age.
Mostly I've been doing a lot of thinking about how we can make a home basically anywhere in this world, as long as we take our family with us. That's all I require to make a home, the Major, and our kids, maybe a few throw pillows. Anyway,it sure helps to make it an even better home when you run into such nice people along the way.
There have been nice friends for all the kids here. That's very lucky. And great teachers, that's lucky too.
Mrs. Wever and George. The best 2nd grade teacher he ever had!
We leave on Tuesday.
That's kind of sad.

3 comments:
Thanks so much for my celebrate banner! I love it and my hubby even said I should just hang it up now. I guess we'll celebrate the end of school and today is Ainsley's first dance recital. I just have to second your feelings about home. Home is wherever you are with your family and I think the mom makes or breaks it. I have some military friends who hate where they are and you can see how their kids are unhappy too. Others embrace where ever they are with a positive attitude and turn everything into an adventure. I bet your kids will remember your time in Korea as an awesome adventure. I think you are an awesome mom! I hope your move goes smoothly!
wow-can't believe this day has come!
Annee, what an adventure you have allowed us to take with you in Korea. Thank you.I promise there is much to experience in North Carolina. I don't know about another Soeul but there is the Biltmore in Ashville, the Furniture Mart in Hickory and don't forget the Abbotts in Charlotte :) Happy travels.
Post a Comment