Saturday, March 29, 2008

A vacation from our vacation.





So we got back last night around 11pm. Miraculously we were all intact. I'm serious, that was a miracle. Given that we all got up on skis (minus the two ladies), and skied for four of the five days, I really was expecting some injuries. Only the last day did Darin take a spill and has some swollen thumbs as a result (he landed on them?). Other than that it was a blast. A huge success!! But this morning at 10:30am with four tired kids and a house that looked like bums lived there, I was already overwhlemed and exhausted by our vacation. So I started calling babysitters. When Darin got home from returning the skis, I said, "Guess who's going out tonight? You and me, without the kids!" He was all surprised, and resonpded, "Really?! It's like a vacation from our vacation." I couldn't have said it better. Vacation is great, but sometimes you need a little time to decompress. So instead of launching into vacation re-cap, I'll give a movie review.

Darin picked the flick. It's called "Run Fat Boy Run". And I have to say, it's funny. I would give it four out of five stars. One and a half out of two thumbs up. Whatever, ranking system you enjoy, I'd nearly give it a 100%. First of all, it was just lovely being out and about. Secondly I had no expectations, Darin picked it. I didn't even know what it was about. And finally, I actually laughed out loud, more than once. And let me just say, that rarely happens for me. Of course, sometimes I laughed out loud because Darin was laughing. You know how that goes?!

Anyway, we're back. Keep checking back as the week unfolds. New photos and re-cap to follow soon.

P.S. Also by 1:30pm we were in dialogue with a realtor friend who was going to put us in contact with a nice family that wants to rent a nice house on our side of town for maybe two years. Then we started talking to the said, nice family. Then by 4pm they called and wondered if a friend of theirs could come by in half an hour to take the tour (they currently live in New Jersey). They are trying to make a decision by the end of the weekend?! Remember how I said our house looked like it had exploded on itself while we were away? So that was the craziest half an hour of our lives. Good thing Darin was here too, and that the girls had fallen asleep in the car. That's where they stayed while we ran around like chickens without heads, cleaning up. I think the showing went well. Maybe we'll get a lucky break.

7 comments:

sarah said...

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear more about the trip and see some pictures. Good for you for getting out. And good luck with the rental. That would be nice to have it all taken care of for the whole 2 years.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I am happy to hear it went well. i love the idea of being on the slopes as a family. and isn't that how it usually goes- impromptu showing when house is in worse shape that normal?!?

sarah said...

So what did you end up doing with the girls while you skied?

Annee said...

The first two days the boys were in lessons, which gave each of us a day to ski lots by ourselves. Darin and I alternated days of skiing, and days of taking care of the girls. Mostly we did lots of green runs. And luckily Henry was very proud to ride the ski life alone, even after the first day. So it really worked out well for us. Tons of fun. We should start having a Zackrison ski week too!

Ie Li said...

How fun for you! I'm so impressed with the Zackrison skiing skills. I've never been skiing before. Sad.

Rachel F. said...

Count me in for a JAZBAND ski trip!! CZ and I have a free Family Pass to Park City, if someone comes to town they can have it!

Zack said...

I'm glad you liked "run fatboy run" i saw a preview and thought it looked funny...

It is pretty amazing that it looks like you'll be able to keep your house and rent it, that sounds wonderful!

I'm so jealous... this is the first year I've really missed skiing... I need more time off!