Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Domestic Debate.

We are having a problem here at our house. Darin suggested (perhaps I will regret this) referring this question to the masses. Here's the deal: Jane and Ruby's sweet friend Rachel gave them a whole package full of Strawberry Shortcake brown paper lunch sacks. We've had lots of fun with these sacks, in all different ways, but we have yet to use them as they were properly intended, as a lunch sack. As you know, I have issues with unnecessary items around the house, but since these are so cute, I have feelings for them.

So Henry has a field trip this week. We have careful instructions from the second grade teacher to pack a "nut free" (don't get me started) lunch in a disposable sack. So at dinner tonight, the pantry door was open, and I saw my huge stack of bags, and I told Henry that he should take his lunch in a disposable Strawberry Shortcake bag. Perfect solution in my eyes. We have all the required elements on hand. We accomplish all that the teacher requested. Henry will be able to throw the sack out after lunch, thereby lightening his backpack load. All is well.

Darin heard me explaining all of this to Henry after dinner and he actually interrupted me mid-sentence, and in front of the children said, "Are you crazy? Henry is NOT going to take a lunch in a Strawberry Shortcake bag!" (I will admit that Henry wasn't crazy about the idea to begin with, and I think he was glad to hear his father stand up for him) By the way, here is what the sack looks like:


The conversation continued. Darin suggested I just buy new PLAIN brown paper bags tomorrow and spare Henry the humiliation of the Strawberry Shortcake bag. I suggested that maybe he could take one of our used Wal-Mart bags. Darin again suggested that I may not be thinking clearly.

But here's my point: what's on the lunch sack is not that big of a deal. It will be in Henry's backpack most of the day. If anyone notices it when he pulls it out at lunch, he can simply blame it on his little sisters (his entire class is aware that he has little twin sisters) and his mom.

But as the debate has gone on throughout the evening, it has become a philosophical debate in parenting techniques. I don't want to raise wimpy kids. If something is truly embarrassing, fine I will not force it upon them. But if it's just something silly, well then, let them be strong enough to hold their heads up high and be fearless of what others may say. My mom made us do crazy things as kids. And sure, some of it was painfully embarrassing, (chasing after the school bus at red lights, so that she wouldn't have to drive us all the way to school). I have to admit that these many years later, it has all contributed to who I am.

Darin says they can learn to be strong in a crowd in other ways, and at other times in life, not as an 8-year old boy carrying around a Strawberry Shortcake lunch sack. So I don't know, maybe he's right? But maybe I am. What do you say?

24 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Annee. Please don't make him take it. You can probably get one free upon request at the local convenience store. You know, the one's the guy's put their can of Brewski in?
I am wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes about the red light and bus.

junioraudio said...

I think Henry should use the Strawberry Shortcake bags. I mean, it's not big deal, and that clearly makes the most sense. Also, I was thinking that he should wear this shirt.

Katie said...

Scott, you are funny!

sarah said...

I'm sorry Annee but I think I'm leaning towards Darin's P.O.V. on this one.

junioraudio said...

the only thing more insane than someone thinking an 8 year old boy should be taking strawberry shortcake lunch bags to school is someone using the abbreviation P.O.V.

Zack said...

Ha! I think Henry should not have to take the strawberry shortcake bag.

I remember growing up field trip lunches were always special, full of fun things that we didn't usually get to eat like twinkies!

Rachel F. said...

i think that's because they were packed at the gas station on the way to school, using the free brown bag from the counter. right?

looks like you're beat annee! being young is so awkward and scary. what if people don't get over it when he blames his little sisters and then he gets teased forever about his lunches then he doesn't want you to pack lunches for him then he eats school pizza everyday and popsicles to handle the pain of the teasing then he gets really fat and hates you through his 20s.

just what if ya know...

Darin said...

Thank you all for your very well-thought out and articulated responses. I think this is going in the right direction.

Kim said...

Having introduced the dilemma in the first place by giving the bags to the girls, I have to weigh in here...Rachel's brother, Ben(who will be on the same fieldtrip), will be taking Strawberry Shortcake along for lunch. They're the only brown paper bags we have! Henry and Ben can fight the power together. We might draw a mustache on her face or something else funny but she will be tagging along for sure.

Ie Li said...

Your mom is the best. My little sister thought she was hilarious when they were here visiting.

Can you turn the bags inside out? I've never tried to do that so maybe that's a really stupid suggestion.

Rachel F. said...

hey if Ben is taking one too then that changes things!

Kat said...

Team Darin here. Sorry Annee. But I think it would be funny and cool if he drew a mustache on her like someone else suggested.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

H 4021NM0OIJKI
...
THAT IS WHAT aRIEL HAD TO SAY.

Annee, I know you were counting on my vote but I am on team Darin. Your girls can find many uses for the bags between now and June. Field trips and sack lunches are a fun break from the norm. Make it extra fun and not embarrassing. But I must also say I do not remember you as being grouchy in the mornings;)

Brooke said...

I think the time for doing slightly weird things and still being cool comes a little bit later in life...like high school. Not when they're eight. Also, I think it depends on the kid. If it were George, or my Harry, I'd say sure, espcially if the kid didn't have a problem with it. But I wouldn't force a kid to do something like that just to make them stronger - especially when you can so easily remedy the situation by getting a pack of plain brown ones for about a buck.

At my kids' school for fieldtrips, the kids have to put all their lunch bags in a huge container and the teacher brings it to the bus and picnic area. That might be tricky for Henry.

So, I'm with Darin on this one. I seem to remember him as a kid wanting to do everything "just right", and he's still pretty dang cool but slightly weird (see posting about grammar day for an example)!

Please let us all know how the debate is settled!

Annee said...

Looks like Kim is my one true friend! I'm a bit disappointed in the mob mentality that has prevailed here in the comments section. And yes Brooke, Darin still loves things to be "just right". I'm sorry, did you refer to him as dang cool? I'm not sure if we're talking about the same Darin :) He's feeling mighty proud that he refered this parenting call to "MY" friends.

sara b said...

I totally agree with your philosophical point Annee. As grown ups we don't have anyone in our lives moving all obstacles out of our way so we need to teach our kids to be strong.... BUT, I am a wimpy mom and would totally go out and buy new lunch sacks, or just turn it inside out maybe??

Corbin said...

I would be sooo embarest and every body in my class would lauph at me for the rest of the year unless they are in my class next year.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Have you seen the movie with Hugh Grant called About A Boy?

Lyons Family said...

hey annee - I think you already know what your going to do, but I thought this was a funny post of yours! I think turning it inside out would work - but also to your side for what it's worth- my boys take "field trip" lunches in target or safeway bags - and no one has ever complained about it . . . they still have friends and actually are rather popular in their classes - if you can believe it after taking a grocery sack lunch!

Karin said...

Annee, I'm actually with you. EXCEPT that Darin broke into the conversation. At this point, I wouldn't push the issue. Sure, if you can talk Henry into using the bag and adding spiderman stickers or something, go for it. I personally wouldn't go out just to buy bags though. My child could have the option of the brownbag with a little girl or a walmart sac.

The Hyer Family said...

So not OK to make an 8 year old boy take Strawberry Shortcake to school...sorry Annee!

Haley said...

I agree with Scott.
I've already looked into it and that shirt is sold out.

Kim said...

Couldn't you just turn the bag inside out? Then you wouldn't see the Strawberry Shortcake.

Liz said...

Annee, you are hilarious! I can see your point, but as a former school teacher and seeing first hand the cruelty that kids can inflict upon others I would not make Henry use the Strawberry Shortcake bag. Unless, or course, he can draw some skulls and knives and guns all over the bag to show how tough he is and how made he is that he had to use the lame bag. I know my response is late, but I just had to comment on this one!