I don't remember what I said first to bring it on, but it went a little something like this.
George: "Oh, so is that why you wake up grumpy in the mornings." (Perhaps I had made a comment about Darin's snoring? But, again, I can't remember for sure.)
Darin's in the room, so I see him get a sly smile on his face when George asks me that question. So he says:
Darin: "George, does mom wake up grumpy EVERY morning?"
George: "Yep."
Darin: "I knew it!"
Me: "Oh, give me a break, I do not."
George: "Yeah, like when it's a holiday, then you don't wake up grumpy."
Darin (already on very thin ice) "Oh yes she does, even on holidays. There is not a single morning when you wake up happy."
And that is as much of the conversation that I will reveal to the public. Lest you think ours is not a home full of love!
But I just want to say, it's not fair. Not fair to be attacked by the two boys in my life who wake up chirping at the first rays of sunshine. You know, some people have brown hair. Some people have blue eyes. Some people are 5'6" tall. And some people wake up a little bit on the grumpy side. I would like to think that maybe if I didn't get woken up and have to immediately jump into work, I might wake up a touch more jolly. Or that if I got to roll over and wake up when ever my heart decided, then I'd be smiling. But, just like I'm 5'6", I think I just wake up grumpy. And you know, there is nothing I can do about my height, and likewise there is nothing I can to about how I feel when my feet hit the ground first thing in the morning. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. But in my defense, I make up for my less-than-happy state later on in the day, by being pleasant as pie. Honest to goodnes.
Have a happy day.
George: "Oh, so is that why you wake up grumpy in the mornings." (Perhaps I had made a comment about Darin's snoring? But, again, I can't remember for sure.)
Darin's in the room, so I see him get a sly smile on his face when George asks me that question. So he says:
Darin: "George, does mom wake up grumpy EVERY morning?"
George: "Yep."
Darin: "I knew it!"
Me: "Oh, give me a break, I do not."
George: "Yeah, like when it's a holiday, then you don't wake up grumpy."
Darin (already on very thin ice) "Oh yes she does, even on holidays. There is not a single morning when you wake up happy."
And that is as much of the conversation that I will reveal to the public. Lest you think ours is not a home full of love!
But I just want to say, it's not fair. Not fair to be attacked by the two boys in my life who wake up chirping at the first rays of sunshine. You know, some people have brown hair. Some people have blue eyes. Some people are 5'6" tall. And some people wake up a little bit on the grumpy side. I would like to think that maybe if I didn't get woken up and have to immediately jump into work, I might wake up a touch more jolly. Or that if I got to roll over and wake up when ever my heart decided, then I'd be smiling. But, just like I'm 5'6", I think I just wake up grumpy. And you know, there is nothing I can do about my height, and likewise there is nothing I can to about how I feel when my feet hit the ground first thing in the morning. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. But in my defense, I make up for my less-than-happy state later on in the day, by being pleasant as pie. Honest to goodnes.
Have a happy day.


11 comments:
No wonder we get a long so well, we're both morning grumps. Maybe if I made kids lunches the night before, I'd look forward to waking up in the morning. To be honest, its just not easy to get excited about changing diapers, folding laundry, breaking up fights and grocery shopping. Am I wrong? Believe me, I know its noble and I'm thankful to be a stay at home mom, but those of us who like to be grumpy in the morning deserve that right!!! And also the right to eat frozen cookie dough in the middle of the afternoon, like I am doing now.
Lol that post made me laugh. Aren't you a night owl? I kinda remember thinking you were in high school but are you still (if you ever were?). I may wake up happy but I'm tired early - like 9 pm early.
Yeah, I can stay up almost all night, still to this day. I rarely do it, but when the need arises, I'm good for it! I'm glad to hear Sandy that we are the same! But my point is, even if I were waking up to do nothing, I still think I just hate the physical switch over from sleeping to being awake! Cookie dough sounds good.
In our home we simply refer to waking up on the grumpy side of the bed as the "momma side of the bed." Although, in my defense, who could possibly be happier and less grumpy then Zack morning, noon and night. :)
That conversation is so funny! Is Darin in trouble or what?! And Ana, I can't really imagine you waking up on the grumpy side of the bed.
Yes I am right on board with this. Maybe this is why we stayed up until 4 in the morning at our girls weekend. Brett is a morning person and it is annoying. I guess one of us needs to be nice in the morning!
Ah, funny. So are you saying this is an inherent gene? Or is it brought on by interrupted sleep followed by forced wake-ups in the morning (ie:motherhood)?
Maybe you should take George's opening, "Yep, it's because Dad snores."
Mom Z
Annee -
I've found that Harry is a really grumpy waker-upper. So this is what I do. One half hour before he's supposed to go to school, I toast a waffle, douse it in syrup and take it up to his room. I then gently wake him up by feeding him bites of yummy warm waffles. (home made would be better, but I've got five children to get out the door, so this is really pretty good) It makes a huge difference! SO, just let George (or Darin) know that all they need to do is bring you breakfast in bed EVERY morning. Maybe it will make a difference!
Excellent idea Brooke! I will work on implementation. Thank you. But I am also intrigued that it is Harry who is grumpy in the morning. Is he not during the day one of the most joyful people around? I'm that way too :)
so hilarious -I feel your pain - Bill would laugh with Darin about this one - he claims I am just like bambi as a newborn trying to walk for the first time when I try to get out of bed in the morning (key word being try) - yeah - not a bright eyed morning person here, either.
Post a Comment