This lady was simultaneously trying to gather together her kids to get their photo.
I found her subjects to be infinitely entertaining. Who knew a country existed that sends two-year-olds on field trips to Botanical gardens, in matching outfits complete with matching backpack?!
These little ones were completely enthralled with Jane and Ruby. Too young to have the nerve to speak to my ladies, they would simply walk past and stare so hard they would nearly fall over. My girls couldn't understand the staring, so I kept trying to help them understand how different they look from each other. I'm not sure the lesson was learned.
The Botanical gardens were also the first place we have been here where we were actually mauled (maybe too strong of a word) by a crowd of teenage girls requesting photos be taken with our children. When one proud Korean girl yelled out to me, "Where are you from?", I could not resist yelling back, "CALIFORNIA!". The scream was one I would reserve for a rock concert or celebrity appearance of some sort. It was shocking! I thought one of them was about to faint.
To escape the teenage Korean paparazzi, we ran through a shrub maze...
Only after we were free of the mob, could Ruby find a rock on which to re-enact her favorite "Little Mermaid" moment. We cannot pass by such a rock without Ruby climbing upon it to sing.
She simply cannot help herself. If you could see her face, she is being completely serious and singing some sort of love ballad to Prince Eric.
Additionally, it helps immensely while trying to stay busy, to continue to receive packages in the mail! Upon returning home from our field trip, I found a package waiting for me from my sister and parents. After I opened the necklace my parents gave me, Jane insisted it was so beautiful she needed to take a picture of it...

and then the fun continued as Jane directed Ruby to pretend she was opening up a new necklace too...

Our busy fun continued throughout the weekend as the children tried vigilantly to take out and play with every single toy that we own.
As George rekindled his old passion of self-portraituring
And, as we loved the world of video conferencing with some of our favorite people on Skype.
And less you think that I am surviving quite well, I was still thoroughly missing Major Earnest on Columbus Day, so again I followed the caravan to a National park here in Korea to spend the day hiking about.
I guess it shouldn't be any huge surprise that the Koreans like to take pictures of us. I sure seem to get a kick out of taking pictures of them too.
And thus concludes the longest post ever. Like I said, I'm trying my hardest to stay busy, but all this busy making, has gotten me totally exhausted, so good night.

9 comments:
Imagine being a 19-year old missionary with the same Korean school girls yelling at you as you were walking down the street. Very awkward situation. I can relate.
Those girls sound crazy! And I'm sorry to say that group of matching two-year-olds is a little more orderly-looking in their picture than your crew. Quite impressive indeed. Who are the guys carrying your girls on their shoulders?
I remember the blond girl in our group of English teachers in China being particularly popular among the natives as a photography subject.
I love how you are referring to Darin as "Major Earnest." I wonder if there is a cute code name like that for Steve. How about "CPA Zackrison?" Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, you know?
Ie Li - sometimes IRS employees are referred to as Agents. Maybe Agent SAZ could work.
Those little children are ADORABLE! And help Korea earn another point. Those paparazzi escaping photos are very artistic.
I remember several times on trips to Europe as a child being asked to pose for a picture with some Asian tourists. And hello, the Great Wall of China should be called Great Wall of Photos with Strangers. Such an interesting trait.
Indeed, the miniturae Asian tourist gain Korea a valiant point. They made my garden visit terribly entertaining. Those kids were one of about five visiting preschool groups.
Steve, even if you had been in America at age 19 the teenage girls would have yelled for you down the street. YOu are just that handsome! Agent SAZ. While I agree that Agent is a great nickname, I would prefer to call him Secret Agent. But I guess that doesn't make much sense.
Jane and Ruby caught a ride down the mountain trail by two generous men from our ward here. That was a real time saver for me!!
Agent is a good option. Good thinking, Rachel. I'll have to think more about this.
I read the entire post in honor of you leaving a comment on my post. I knew I could count on my ever increasing Korean sister-in-law. (Sorry a typo caused me to delete the previous post. I can't let a typo taint my English major status)
annee....i saw that you skype with your sister, so i added you on my skype. we can all skype now. Its fantastic. Except I don't really know how to do...so you can teach me.
Post a Comment