Ruby asked me tonight in her sweet little Ruby voice, "Mom, can you buy me a playground? A really big playground? With a big, huge slide? But it could be mine? I could have it at my house?" And I thought that was so cute I should write it down and remember it forever. 
And the other night after we were coming home from Darin's promotion ceremony Ruby said, "I know who sent daddy those flowers, they are from Jesus." Because the flowers came with a card stuck in them, and this is the picture of the guy on the card.
All these little moments, and all these little sayings, I don't want to forget.
So tonight, I was at dinner at a friend's house, and I thought I was fine, and then someone asked me if everything was okay? I smiled and said, "Of course." But really, something is wrong.
See in this picture?

On Thursday night I was wearing my wedding ring, and now three days later, I can't find it anywhere. And believe me I have searched. And I think after three days of worrying about it, it's finally beginning to weigh heavy on me. I hate to lose things. I really do. And why do we have to lose things anyway?
My cousin asked me if I had prayed about being able to find my ring. To which I replied I had. And all day long today I've thought I was being struck by inspiration and I would run off into a room and tear apart a bed, with such a burning hope that the ring was going to tumble down onto the floor.
But it never did.
I lost my wedding band, at my grandma Z's house. My grandma Z's house is the cleanest house on the the planet. And when I commissioned grandma Z with the task of cleaning and finding my ring, imagine the finality I felt in my heart when she called me back and said, "So I think you should check in the twins diapers this week. Because your ring is not in my house."
I knew it was lost forever at that point in time. But that was only okay, because I still had my diamond ring.
And sometimes we loose things around here, like wallets and keys. But then after fervent searching and pleading with twin three-year-olds, we find them. One time we lost the pet dog to the doll house. And that was sad for a little while, but then a month later, the little dog was found, smooshed into the pillows on the couch. So that was happy.
And then my cousin told me that her dad lost his wedding ring once for 10 years. And ten years later his wedding ring showed up in the house again.
So things get lost, and things get found. And something we write down to remember. And somethings we never write down and we forget.
But I just hope I'm going to find the last piece of my wedding ring somewhere in this house. Because some things really shouldn't ever get lost or forgotten. Don't you think?

8 comments:
Oh Annee...this makes me so sad! The same thing happened to me once and I was sure I'd never find it, and the diamond was from Joe's grandpa, and you just can't go out and buy somehting like that to replace it with, and somehow it just makes you feel like you've failed somehow, but in a big, irreplaceable kind of way. I'm sure it will turn up....mine ended up in the big trash can outside which I thought to go through the day before the trash man came and it was really gone forever. Once, when Harry wasn't even two yet, he loved to play with credit cards. One day my best card was really gone and we couldn't find it anywhere. So I gave him another card and watched him secretly as he went and slid it into a secret slot underneath a bench in our living room (I think it reminded him of a credit card swiping machine). Sure enough, when I checked, my other card was there too!
I'm sure you'll find it...because certainly, wedding rings with ten years of history can't really be lost forever.
Oh I'm sad for you! Keep hunting, you'll find it. And if you don't find it now, I bet it will show up when the house is emptied for the next move. Gordon has lost two wedding rings in the past year. The origional was lost snorkeling in Hawaii, and the second we have no idea. At least there was no diamond in them, mine would have been worse, but I was still sad when the origional was lost. We always say "at least we were having fun together when it slipped off" and at least you're on a grand adventure in Korea. . .
Ah my gosh that is heartbreaking! I just know it'll turn up somewhere, it just has to. I'll add in my prayers to help.
How sad, Annee. I kept reading thinking you'd tell us you did find your diamond ring after all. Keep looking!! And if it doesn't turn up, look into seeing if Korea has a jewelry mart. But really I do hope you find your cherished wedding ring!
Oh Annee, I'm so sorry you've misplaced it. Don't worry it will be fine. Check your sewing room and your kitchen. Cooking and sewing all the sweet things you do I'm sure it's one of those places. Maybe if you don't find it. You and Darin can have new unique ones made at the jewlry store until you find you special one. Paul's gone this week if you want to get together. I'm kind of having an itch to go to Happy Quilt again with you. That was fun.
Love ya girly, hang in there,
Susan
I'm sorry sweetie! I'm sending good vibes your way that you will find!
Annee....on our ten year wedding anniversary to the day mind you, Todd lost his wedding ring in the big fat hawaiian ocean while snorkeling and as we left he scribled his phone number @ the "snack counter" and from then on I thought our marriage was currsed! Well within 24 hours they called him as we were leaving the island and someone had found his ring....only 4 hrs to late after I perchased a very expensive new ring for another great 10 years kind of thing-who finds a wedding ring in the BIG FAT HAWAIIAN ocean? So now i guess we have a back-up!
Annee....on our ten year wedding anniversary to the day mind you, Todd lost his wedding ring in the big fat hawaiian ocean while snorkeling and as we left he scribled his phone number @ the "snack counter" and from then on I thought our marriage was currsed! Well within 24 hours they called him as we were leaving the island and someone had found his ring....only 4 hrs to late after I perchased a very expensive new ring for another great 10 years kind of thing-who finds a wedding ring in the BIG FAT HAWAIIAN ocean? So now i guess we have a back-up!
Post a Comment