Thursday, October 23, 2008

A list.

1. While on my run today, I got stopped. He told me it might just be for a minute, but if I could just wait, they were moving explosives. That never happened while on a run in Colorado Springs. It was slightly shocking. And yet I was grateful for the warning I suppose.

2. I ran longer than I normally do on a Thursday morning, because I was "in the zone". Running speak for; the miles were coming easily today. Anyway, I was gleefully anticipating the recovery shower to kick start the rest of the day. Only to return home to find the water in the entire building was shut off. And it would remain shut off until 6pm! It was maybe 10am?! That was a long, stinky, dried up sweaty kind of a day, if you know what I mean.

3. Darin's been gone for 20 days and 20 nights. And he will STILL be gone for another 20 days and 20 nights. I think it was better before I looked on the calendar and did that computation. That was some very bad news to be given today.

4. Henry's math homework took what felt like 3 days to complete. It was all things like this:
7634-4239=
I wanted to slit my wrist all along the way. For some reason watching your child laborioulsy work through subtraction is in fact, NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT FUN.

5. George came out of his bed at 8:37pm to inform me with tears pouring out of his eyes that he would be having a test in Spanish class tomorrow. He stammered out the words, "I will have to WRITE all the words out. I don't even know how to!" At that very moment I wanted to crumple up into a little tiny ball and roll away down a grassy hill. What Spanish words will he have to write out? And why, oh why did he only mention it at 8:37pm the night before?! I unconvincingly said, I would wake him up early tomorrow morning so that we could study. He said, "how early?" I said, "I have no idea, just go to bed. Crying about it is not going to help us right now. Good night."

I think I better FINALLY go take the shower that I should have taken at 10 o'clock this morning. Perhaps at that point in time I will have better solutions for the obstacles of tomorrow.

P.S. Oh yeah, and Henry told me at 7:30pm that I could bring him two dozen cupcakes for the snack tomorrow for his class, since his birthday is on Saturday. I guess I should have thought of that, but I've been so busy worrying about his birhtday party tomorrow night, and making Saturday a very special day, that I simply forgot that cupcakes should go to school with him in the morning.

I definitely need to get in the shower now.

8 comments:

Adam and Sariah said...

Oh Annee!!! What a terrible day. If I was staying in town tomorrow I would help frost some cupcakes...but I will be thinking of you. What bad timing to have two birthdays while Darin is gone. I know that the 20 days left doesn't sound good, but you deserve some Ben and Jerry's for making it half way! You are over the hump...well tomorrow you will be at least. We need to plan some more fun things to do so that you can avoid having any more days like today. And next time at 10AM call me and come over and use my shower. It is better than sitting all day and waiting to take one. We all love you! ~Sariah

sarah said...

Wow what a day. I hate not being able to take a shower right away. And George is learning Spanish?! That's impressive. 20 days to go does sound like a lot, but it's got to be good to be past the half-way mark at least. You can do it! I have to disagree about the math homework. I enjoy helping with it and am gratified when my kids can understand those concepts. But then I've always leaned a little more that way.

Rachel F. said...

George is in Spanish classes? Vocab tests are indeed very scary... I wish I were there and could cook the cupcakes for you!

Liz said...

Why does everything have to happen at once! I'm so sad for you that you are only half way through your time without Darin. What were you doing looking at the calendar??

I hope George calms down about the Spanish test. He really shouldn't be worrying so much at such a young age about a test. I'd just reassure him that he'll have lots more tests to take in school and maybe this experience can be a good one to learn about not waiting until the last minute to do things. I mean you never wait until the last minute to do things, right??

As for the multiple digit subtraction problems, from a teacher's point of view, subtraction was always more painful then addition. It also seemed to not be as bad if the subtraction facts were mastered. Good luck!

I hope your shower helped. Hopefully Friday goes better.

Jana said...

How dreadful. It is interesting how showers do seem to bring about new perspective, so I hope that helped. I'm sure you'll pull everything off beautifully--birthday party, spanish test and all.

Strommer Family said...

You and Sariah...both thinking you stink SO to high heaven after your runs when nobody else unless they are hugging you or doing such other close knit things with you would ever notice!! However, I'm sure it felt much better for YOU to feel clean!! So I'm glad you got a shower, and you should feel privileged...because isn't that the classic sign of motherhood, when your child tells you at O'Dark Thirty at night that they have to bring in some creature,morsel of food,or other such nonsense and you are expected to supply it!! So feel good, now it's happened once maybe it won't feel as maddening next time!! We can all hope right!! ;)

Greg and Shara said...

Were you trying to make me cry? I wanted to cry for you, because I know you miss your hubby! I wanted to cry for George and that stupid (oops)Spanish test! I wanted to cry because reading that made me exhausted, and it wasn't even my day...deep sigh!!!

Lori said...

My fingers are crossed waiting to hear how it all turned out!