Some highlights, and low lights...
1. It was the last week of summer! I tried to focus on the positive and allow the boys to enjoy their last week of slothful living. I likewise tried to enjoy each morning that I did not have to get out of bed before 8am. Next week, that will all change!
2. By Wednesday, Henry and I got to have a little afternoon date together. He was feeling the effects of his annual "back to school stomach flu" and was suffering from a massive head ache. To help get his mind off of the looming first day of school, the little brothers and sisters went to play at a friends house, and he and I got to run some errands and venture off base together for my first solo voyage in the van with my newly obtained Korean drivers license. Destination? The fabric store of course. He humored me by picking out a new fabric so that hopefully next week we can make him a pair of lounge pants that are the correct length. It was sweet to have some one-on-one time. It was a highlight.
3. A delightfully unexpected package arrived in the mail. Best friend Liz randomly purchased a few little Gymboree items for my ladies. Additionally she threw in TWO sewing patterns. What more could I have asked for in a mid-week package? It was a treat. The girls instantly changed into their new clothes, and I began sewing again, of course. (Pictures to follow soon).
4. My girls got themselves a coveted spot in a the newly developed pre-school program for this school year! Tuesday and Thursday morning I will have 3 whole hours all to myself. There will only be one million things on my list to do during those three hours, but I'll be grateful all the same.
5. At the same time that I was accomplishing getting the girls registered, Henry was still suffering from his back-to-school condition, and indeed threw up at the newly constructed base Community Center. And thus begins perhaps a few of the low lights...
6. We had a few too many trips to the BX this week. By the end of the week, any trip to the BX ended miserably. Our grand finale was when Jane tipped over a rack full of bathrobes and made it fall to the ground spilling bathrobes all over the floor. This was a very LOW moment. She will not come back to the BX with me anytime soon.
7. Darin's work schedule would have to make the list of low lights. We didn't see him much this week. I am reminded of other families who don't see their military member at all, so we are grateful that he does come home. But we can't help but feel a little bit sorry for ourselves that we can't see him as much as we would like to. A low light.
8. By Friday (today), Henry was admitting that his "illness" might not actually be an illness as much as a condition of nerves. This makes my highlights list. Isn't acceptance one of the first steps to recovery? He has to admit and accept to the fact that he is a nervous sort, before we can help equip him with the tools he needs to overcome his fears. It was a break through to have him willing to have a conversation. Thus, it makes the highlights list.
9. A brief outing out the main gates produced two highlights. When Ruby turned and said to me "Oh, so we do still live in Korea", because she saw the familiar off-base scene, that made me laugh, and I needed to laugh. The boys likewise were all jazzed up when they walked past one of the 43 DVD vendors who was playing a copy of the NEW Star Wars Clone War movie. The sound quality was outstanding, and the picture was above average, and they were absolutely giddy with excitement. A funny exchange about the price, where I thought it was first $5, and then $30, and we ended up getting it for $3, left us all laughing about the fact that we do indeed live in Korea.
Thus ends our week in review. It's been a long week, but I think it served it's purpose in the grand end-of-summer scheme of things. Here's to a happy weekend and do please be praying for all of us as we round the corner to Monday morning!!
Friday, August 22, 2008
Our week in review.
Posted by Annee at 9:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
fun week! Tell Henry good luck for us
Loved the update. Hope the illness is cured soon.
Tell Henry we all are thinking about him! Lots of hugs to you all!
Good luck Henry! Brenden says 3rd grade is great so far. Yay for preschool! That will be heavenly. I can't believe you're in "that" phase of life now!
No question our well wishes and prayers are sent your way. I have no doubt that those sent our way have eased some of the same stress we experience when it comes to "fall". Hang in there Henry and be glad you get to have gluten and nuts at school! (I hope that's true.)
Indeed Kim, we met his teacher on Friday and as she was saying he could bring a snack to school, I was bracing myself for the list of restrictions. But that was the end of her sentence, just he can bring a snack to school. I was so surprised!! I said, "there are no restrictions as to what the snack can be?!" And she said, "Well, we don't really like them to bring a can of soda. But other than that, whatever he likes." I liked our new school instantly!!
Well obviously you made it and so did your boys since they all looked great this morning!! Henry will do great,and hopefully his nervousness will end soon and not provide you any more low lights!! ;)
Wow that's true, it's mid-afternoon on Monday there in Korea! I hope it went well. Can't wait to hear about it
That is great news about the preschool! Enjoy your "down" time!
Post a Comment