Tuesday, November 13, 2007

We Went to the Zoo, and some other stuff...

Darin was in Idaho this weekend with the LDS Cadet Choir. Official duties and all. So we had to find a way to pass the time without him. Would you believe that on November 10th in Colorado it was a beautiful 72 degrees?! We had talked about going to the movies, but with that kind of weather, I just couldn't resist finding an outdoor activity. And while I am not a huge zoo fan, there are two good things about our zoo here in "the Springs".


1. The Giraffes. They walk right up to the edge of their "cage" and kids can feed them. It's right when you walk into the zoo. No wondering around forever to get to the thing that you actually want to see. First thing, right off the bat, the kids are feeding the giraffe and having fun. I have to admit that for a non-animal person I still get excited about how close the giraffe get to us.



Can you see that I'm not the only person in the family who's a bit of a non-animal type. Look at Henry's body position as George is feeding the giraffe.



The boys insisted that we photograph this bird. They loved his hair.



Ruby's request was to see the elephants.

Which brings me to the second good thing about our zoo. 2. It's location. It is sort of carved into the side of one of our mountains. Your visit to the zoo is a mountain hike up, and then you climb back down on your way out. I think it's genius. And the whole time you get sweeping views of Colorado Springs as you climb up and up. It was a beautiful day.


George and a black bear. (Just so you know, it took quite a bit of negotiating with George to limit the number of pictures of him with an animal, or just an animal.)



And then Sunday rolled around. We actually made it to Sacrament meeting on time. And then we even managed to make Swedish meatballs again, giving Henry a reason to use his new apron. Thankfully, the cadets had a 7pm curfew on Monday, so Darin returned home just in time for dinner on Monday night! A good time had by all.

4 comments:

Rachel F. said...

wow! look at that giraffe!

remember the zoo in germany that didn't have fences?? and remember how henry only wanted to play with the pigeons? looks like the kids have come a long way! although maybe henry would still prefer just chasing the birds...

Annee said...

That was the craziest zoo ever, with no fences. I've seen nothing like it since. And I would think that pigeons would still be fun for him. Although he was all jazzed to go to the reptile house. I can't go in there!

Ie Li said...

Cute post. I am another one who is most definitely not an animal person, although I do enjoy seeing the pandas at the national zoo.

Karin said...

What a fun Mom- going somewhere you don't enjoy for the sake of the kids. Jim was in Denver for 24 hours last week and came home declairing he could live there. Must've been there on you 72 degree day.:) And Ie Li, those pandas are great- especially since that zoo is free!