Friday, November 16, 2007

Special helpers, are hardly any help at all....

I just had to post this. Not that I'm feeling sorry for myself or anything, but EVERY night when I go to cook dinner, Jane and Ruby instantly hear me working and come rushing in. They each grab a chair to "help". They always position themselves in a most un-helpful place. I have to work and move all around them. All the while they inevitably have a separate agenda. And ALWAYS eat more of their dinner while it's being prepped than they do at the table.

Last night I was getting so frustrated I was nearly in tears. I was so close to screaming at them, moving their chairs and sticking them in time-out, or something. But then I counted to 10 and tried to calm down. I thought, if I can't change it, then why don't I document it. Try to see it in a different way. I can't say that it made it any easier to cook, but at least it gave me a distraction from my frustration. I mean, someday (in like one million years), they will be gone, and I will smile a whimsical smile (in my silent kitchen) and think back to the day when my girls would come running the moment they heard me in the kitchen. Back when they still believed they were my best-friend. So I'm trying to be grateful for my special helpers.

Like I said, they can't miss a moment of kitchen action. After dinner was over, I quietly started a pot of hot chocolate for dessert. And sure enough like little puppies, they came running, grabbed their chairs to "help".

Jane sniffing the cocoa.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

sarah said...

They sure look cute. It's great to get pictures of the frustrating times as much as the happy posed moments. You are such a great mom.

Christy said...

Oh I am laughing so hard. Only because I go through the same thing! I don't know why, but the sound of moving chairs gets on my nerves every single time. My kids move chairs to climb up to get things, wash hands, make a mess, you name it. AHHH, I feel for you.

Mandy said...

I love it! I totally relate! Love your positive attitude. Counting to 10 works for me too. I have to admit they are very cute!!

sara b said...

Wow, how I can relate to this post! (did i just start with "wow how?)

Anyways, I always set myself up and think it will be so fun to cook sugar cookies or something and have the kids help. It usually ends with me so frazzled and the kids fighting over who gets to stir and who gets to lick the bowl. It helps in some small way to know that other mothers are going through this exact thing too.

Ie Li said...

Way to keep cool in a frustrating situation. Is it Jane who is always naked or do they switch off?