Monday, October 29, 2007

One nightgown or two?...

I can't sleep. So I'm temporarily giving up. I'll return to bed later. Many things are on my mind and so I finally decided to just get out of bed and write some of them down. And then maybe, I'll be able to go back to bed.

Jane goes into the hospital 6am Tuesday morning for the tonsil removal surgery. I know that's not that official name. Please excuse me for that. Anyway, I've been advised by other parents who have recently gone through this with their 2 year-old's, to try as best we can to prepare Jane for what we are going to do to her. I have story books on loan from a fellow mom about "My Day at the Hospital", and other such books for kids. We're supposed to read them to her and hope it helps her understand where we are taking her at 6am Tuesday morning. We tried to start tonight.
Me: "Jane, we need to go back to the doctor."
Jane: "No."
Me: "Yes, he needs to look in your mouth again."
Jane: "No."
Darin: "Yes Jane, don't you want to go back to the doctor."
Jane: "No."
I don't know, maybe we'll try the story books tomorrow. We don't have much time left to warn her!

But the real issue keeping me from sleep is the following; I think Jane deserves a new little nightgown to wear to the hospital and during her over night stay. But what about Ruby? I don't have this problem with the boys. If one of them had something to do, it was very clear to me that it was a separate issue pertaining to the one guy (like when George had this surgery, he got a new toy and Henry didn't). But I'm having a harder time with the girls. We get two of everything. But does this specific hospital situation deserve some personal attention for just Jane? And I think Jane should get a new stuff animal to keep her company at the hospital. But what will I do about that once we are back home, and we are fighting over the ONE new stuffed animal? Do you see my problem?

Too bad I don't have more friends with twins to help me sort this all out. Trivial you may think, but keeping me from sleep none the less. Should you have any friends with twins, perhaps you could go counsel with them on my behalf. Share with me their insights should you gather any. If you don't, just share with me your insight.

Okay, maybe I'll try to go back to bed now. Let me know what you think...one nightgown, or two?

5 comments:

Mickelmonkey Mama said...

I don't know if this would work, but maybe you could let Ruby pick out the new nightgown for Jane. It could be a present from Ruby to Jane. If she feels special about getting to pick it out, she might be cool with not wearing it. And maybe you could let Ruby pick out a pair of socks or something different while you are out. Just a thought. Good luck with all of that!

Christy said...

I just called my friend with twins and this is her advice. She said you have to parent them as siblings. As she put it "Spencer will probably have a curfew and Russell won't." That is funny. Anyway, I was going to tell you to buy two, because I hate dealing with the fights. When Eliza goes to the clinic she gets a treat and I always get one for Avery also. But Avery does have to put up with a lot when Eliza is sick, so she does deserve a treat. I like the idea of Ruby buying a gift for Jane. That would be cute. Then you could get Ruby something small for being a nice sister. Good luck!

Annee said...

Thanks for the insight girls. It has helped. I think I needed to be reminded that they do need to be treated as siblings. Not as the same person. It's hard though. I hate the fighting. I guess that's just the case with 2 year-olds though.

Rachel F. said...

So I talked to Courtney who is a twin (and has a brother 14 months younger, yikes!). She said her and Kirsten had everything the same all growing up and she liked it that way. She still feels like she had a good sense of individuality and yet felt special that her and Kirsten had a special bond.

The first time they had anything different was in 9th grade when Kirsten went to cheerleading camp and Courtney didn't. She says it was really odd. I was surprised to learn about how similarly they were both treated since Courtney is very independent and strong today, I would've thought they were treated more individually but not so!

Courtney suggests they can both get a special treat. If nothing else, they're probably too young to grasp any deeper philosophical point of them being individuals despite being twins. I agree. Revisit the issue when they're 8.

There ya go!

sara b said...

I don't think I can add to the advice already given. It is all so good. I totally cave and get every one something just to avoid the potential fight. But what I found is no matter how much I think I have thought a situation through to avoid a fight, one always occurs.