On the left is little Henry just before he turned 1 when we were living in Germany. On the right, is Henry today, having a very happy 8th birthday.Henry decided opening two presents without Darin wouldn't be so bad.
Then when Darin came home in the evening, he was more than ready to open everything up. Of course I am sharing the pictures of the presents I was most excited about. His first set of personalized scriptures.
And his very own personalized William-Sonoma apron. These were the things I most wanted to get him. They weren't at the top of his list. But as you can see, he's a good sport.
Anyway, it was a happy day around here. Somehow, many weeks ago, Henry got me to agree that he could skip school on his birthday. He reminded me of that every single day last week. It's almost what he was most excited about. A day off of school, for no other reason than to have fun. He got to play video games and stay in his pj's until about 11. Then we went to the mall to shop with his money from Grandma and Grandpa Z (he found a new game for the Wii). Then we played glow in the dark mini-golf, with Jane and Ruby. I have to admit it was fun. We even went for dessert in the middle of the afternoon. All the while he kept asking me if he would still normally be at school.
So a tribute to my first born son. My very first "raison-d'etre"; Our "first born in the wilderness"; Our own personal guinea pig to test out all of our fantastic theories on parenting. He is so good and so kind and so darn conscientious. I couldn't love him more or be more proud of who he is. This is a special birthday. He will get baptized in a few weeks and all of his grandparents will be there to watch him. Happy birthday Henry. You've given us much joy in these past 8 years. Here's to hundreds more...
P.S. (you know how I feel about that!)...
Ruby and this skirt have been inseparable for going on 36 hours now. Darin put her to bed last night and couldn't convince her to leave the skirt off. So when she woke up this morning with the skirt still on, she was over-joyed. I convinced her to put some clothes on (since the skirt is see-through), but the skirt goes on top of anything that she has had on today. She wore it to the mall, mini-golfing, to take her nap, out to dinner at CPK, and then again, back to bed.
Here are the girls looking all-together pleased. They had already been put to bed, but they heard the rest of us still awake, so Jane sprung Ruby (She gets locked in her room. Don't ask!), and together they came walking down the stairs. Ruby announced that she was all done with her "pacie" and ready to wake-up. When Jane saw the camera she threw her arm around Ruby and said "cheese". Hard to be mad when they look like that, but I was trying to be. (And yes, cousin Lisa, they are sporting different hairdos. I'm trying to grow Jane's bangs out, and keep trimming Ruby's. Just trying to help people tell them apart.)
And now, the longest post ever must sadly come to an end. Good night!

5 comments:
what fun times -they fly by don't they - hey - what are your plans for thanksgiving? Also - I finally did the "tag" thing! thanks - it was fun!
happy birthday Henry. We can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!
Please give Henry happy birthday hugs from us. We are very proud of him and we love him.
Annee,
I really enjoy your blog, too. I know that Rachel is officially the biggest fan, but I must let you know that I enjoy it immensely. I was happy to get caught up with it and have really enjoyed your recent posts. I look forward to seeing which country will be spotlighted in for your Sunday feast. I guess it is like being a part of an ongoing "to be continued" type thing.
Happy 8th birthday to Henry. He is a great looking kid! It's amazing how fast they grow up.
Ruby and Jane's antics are make me smile. They are nothing I have ever experienced thus far with my boys. However, I'm guessing they are on the horizon, with Chloe.
P.S. Tomorrow Henry will be a deacon! That's how it felt with Carter.
Thank Katie. I love your blog as well. All the pictures of Chloe are adorable. I love watching her grow. Your boys are cute too :) These kids do grow up so fast. When I see pictures of Carter it's hard to believe he can be that old already! Thanks for the long comment and for enjoying our blog!
Post a Comment