It's true. It's no longer something I'm anticipating or planning for. It is something I have done. I guess I can't deny it any longer. And all things considered, we're doing pretty well. We have a large enough house, and it's on base. We have already moved in. We don't have our stuff yet, but some of it is arriving tomorrow. We don't have a car yet, but we can walk to every where that we need to in order to lead a normal life here. We managed to sleep through the night last night and stay awake for our second full day. We even managed to take the kids to the indoor swimming pool for an afternoon activity, and then walked to Chili's for dinner (yes, they have Chili's on the base!).
But I am still not prepared to talk about the 12 hour plane ride, the 5 accompanying hours spent in airports, the nearly 3 hours of ground transportation, the 3 adults and 3 cars that were required to get me, 4 kids, 9 suit cases, 6 carry-on bags and two car seats to the airport. Or how I had to say good-bye to my parents at the end of the security line and take the next steps all alone. No, I'm not fully recovered from sitting in detention for nearly thirty minutes in the Korean immigration office because one of the passports fell out of my stack on the plane, and I didn't realize it until I was standing at the front of line at immigration. Or during my thirty minutes in detention with four exhausted kids, not being able to have a complete conversation with anyone around me because they couldn't speak English, so then I started to cry. But in my defense, that was the first time I cried during any of the before mentioned moments. So I think it was okay.
Anyway, I have a few pictures to post of us en route. But in the mean time, I wanted to respond to my friend Kim's post about what's out your front door and back door. Here was the entry that I wanted to post last week. I hope she'll accept my post about it now, even though it's not still what's out my front door or back door. Although that picture would probably be interesting too, but not quite as beautiful. So let's go with last weeks doors...
P.S. a few other great ideas that happened at beach week:
This next idea wasn't maybe great in the moment, but in retrospect it is a classic story that makes my family unique. There are some train tracks that were close by to the beach house, so all the little kids saw the train pass by a few times a day. My parents decided it would be fun to take the little kids on the train and drive by the beach house and point to it on our way past. And to make it even better, they thought they could take the kids and give the parents the morning off. It was only as they were loading into the car that they realized that they might need one other adult to make the field trip successful. I (having the most kids on the field trip) volunteered to come along. The Amtrak automatic kiosk was unwilling to sell my dad eight children tickets with only 3 adults. That kiosk thought that was an unwise grouping. I think in this case, the kiosk did know something that we didn't! Anyway, it was unique and crazy, and reminiscent of my own childhood. But it is how my parents are, and I salute their crazy ideas and ever youthful approach to life and learning, which undoubtedly taught me how to do something like move to Korea with four kids...
I will take some pictures of us in Korea tomorrow. Just as a preview, Jane holds her nose any time we take a step out our front door. I don't totally agree with her. It's not terribly odorous, but I think it's more the figurative symbol that makes me laugh every time we march across our new village. Change is hard and with every new walk we embark upon we tell Jane, "Just unplug your nose for 30 seconds and you'll see, it's not that bad." Trustingly, she does unplug her nose a little longer each time. And so it is for each of us in our own different way. We are all resistant to change, but with each day we get more and more acclimated.
Good night.

14 comments:
Oh Annee! You are so strong. My breakdown would have started at the security gate. I am glad that part of the move is over for you!
I am so interested to hear about life in Korea with 4 kids. Thanks for keeping us posted!
Thanks for giving us some info! I'm dying to know more. Let me know as soon as you get a cell or home phone or something, my cell phone is very accustomed to calling internationally.
That's really sad and scary about the customs issue. I always worry about that happening! I wonder what pieces your kids will remember about the whole thing. George's essay about getting to Korea would probably be hilarious.
Much love to you all!
Wow I don't even know what to say. You did it. I don't think it's fully hit me until now. We will miss you terribly. Hopefully the memory of the travel experience will fade soon enough for you to brave the trip again sometime in the next 2 years.
Oh, Annee. I'm so glad that part of your move is over. I'm sooo impressed how long you waited to cry! You are so strong. I've learned so much from you. Thanks for all you gave me - without even knowing you did.
dang...that 2000$ dollar ticket totally seems worth it now. But, I am glad you got there ok. I hope you guys are doing well. We miss you already!
Annee,
Okay I have to leave a comment. I am so glad you are safely to Korea and I got all teary just reading about you saying goodbye to your parents so you know where I stand on the whole crying thing! I also love the train story and the pedicure story, so great, so Zackrison. I love you and reading about your Crazy Korean life makes my South Bend, Indiana existence seem a bit more exotic, a bit more asian if you will. Is this comment too long? Oh well. I will email soon. Love emily
ps. your beach pictures make me very excited for our turn there in a few weeks.
Emily, your comment makes me need to comment back! So great to have you join in the comments. You know, the next step after leaving a few comments will be starting your own blog. And no one will be more excited than me about that! We loved having your mom as nursery leader to Jane and Ruby the past two weeks that we in La Canada. I kept wishing you guys were there at the beach with us! Maybe someday in the future. Thanks for the comment. Seriously!
Annee, you always impress me. If anyone could make it to Korea with 4 kids and only have one minor hiccup which brought on the only tears you shed, it's YOU! I can't wait to read more about your village life in Korea. I love your adventures!
The travel to Korea sounds so hard! Steve and I were talking last night, saying how you being in Korea really makes us want to move there. Hopefully it will work out. But if it doesn't, we're planning to leave our kids with their grandparents while we visit you in Korea.
You are invited to come anytime Ie Li. We will live for that visit!! But I do hope you guys can actually overlap living here with us too. I can see now how amazing that would be.
Congratulations on making the journey! I really would have lost it probably 20 minutes into that trip. I'm sure you are glad it is over. What an adventure!
Love the front door, back door views! Such a wonderful way to bid farewell to American soil.
You are truly amazing.
I got choked up reading that. You are so strong. I can't imagine what this is like. You're going to do great! Hopefully the hardest part is over??? (the flight)
Best of luck to you and your cute little ones.
Post a Comment