Saturday, June 28, 2008

Another Korean Adventure (and very long post)

The weather report for Saturday was calling for rain all day long. Remembering the rain from last Saturday, we decided to believe them. So we started trying to figure out what Korea had to offer a family of six on a rainy day, who don't have a car. We found something called COEX Mall. It boasted being the largest under ground shopping mall in Asia, with a 16 screen megaplex and an aquarium. It said it was a great entertainment option for kids. Plus, it gave subway directions as to how to get there. Oh yeah, and it mentioned an enormous food court with plenty of international options (Newtons, we're happy to report we found Sbarro at COEX ). So we decided we'd give it a try.

It's in Seoul. So rather than taking the subway and transferring twice and possibly being on the trains for 1.5 hours, Darin found an express bus that would take us straight to Seoul's Express Bus Terminal. We hopped in a cab on the base, we said we needed to go to the bus terminal in Songtan. At the bus terminal we were obviously tourists, so about five nice Koreans started giving us instructions and asked us what we were trying to do. They pointed us to the right bus. It did as it promised and got us to Seoul in under an hour, but not to the station we had anticipated. We gave up trying to connect to the subway to COEX, and just jumped in another cab and told him where we were trying to go.

Here the kids are at the first Kodak picture spot that the Korean Tourist board suggested we stand at. I guess that's what COEX looks like outside and above ground. Why is everything we do so much more complicated than even we imagine? And believe me, we never think things are going to be easy. The crowds and the noise alone were enough to make me go crazy. Seoul is a city of I think 11 million. I think half of them were at COEX today.

Check out the boy's club in 7-11 eating their Ramen noodles for lunch. It's just funny how even the places that are supposedly American, are rarely familiar to us.

I had to snap a shot of the Sanrio shop for Rachel and Christine. The moment I saw this store I was transported to Glendale Galleria back in 1992 with my little sisters going crazy to buy all those little pens and dolls and stickers, backpacks and whatever else they dreamed of, back in 1992. I took Jane and Ruby in to see it's effect on my girls. Mostly they just wanted the umbrellas. We're in a major umbrella phase right now. We can't seem to get over them.

After wandering through the crowds for a while we decided our trip needed more focus. We settled on the Aquarium. It was the most random Aquarium I've ever seen. But the kids were totally impressed, and there were even hands on exhibits.



I maybe should have waited a day before recapping this trip. As I write this, all I seem to remember about today is being so totally hot. I'm telling you America knows how to air condition. I didn't even realize this was something unique to our country, but I'm being more and more convinced of it with each new place I go. The next time you find yourself at a mall, a hotel, a restaurant, on a bus, or in any public place this summer, as you take a refreshingly cool breath in, would you please whisper a silent "God bless America" as you blow it out?





This picture was my attempt to convey the crowds. Oh yeah, and to try to give a tiny glimpse of why we stand out so clearly anywhere we go!

After we mercifully made it all the long way through the aquarium, we decided we needed to escape Asia's largest under ground shopping mall. Darin wisely had brought his guide book with us, and could lead us to the Bongeunsa Temple. (One of the cab drivers today after being as amazed as the other 72 cab drivers who have been amazed when our family of six has jumped in the cab, turned to Darin and said, "FOUR?". Darin, said, "Yeah, I have 4 kids". In reply, he said, "You the CHEIF!" And laughed mightily at his English joke. I laughed with him too!)

Henry and George standing in front of "Kabootah" or "Boodu", George went through about six or seven different names before he could remember poor Buddha's proper name.

As we approached this temple we did pause and try to convey to the kids that this was a place of reverence. We told them as we walked through the grounds we needed to show the same kind of respect as if we were walking through one of our own church buildings. The surroundings were breath-taking. The peace and quiet were tangible after the masses of humanity from the mall. There were pavilions scattered throughout full of people quietly praying. Our favorite part were the little prayer lanterns that lined the entrance as well as a few of the pathways.


So it was worth it in the end. At 7pm all six of us walked back through our front door, like a miracle gifted to us from Buddah himself. I wouldn't have traded a thing about our day. Like the little old ladies at the front entrance to the temple who stood for about five minutes trying to get Jane to bow. And then the international joy we shared with them when finally she bowed! I guess I wouldn't trade touring the Aquarium with the 100 summer camp kids who kept trying to say English words to us as they walked by. Or all the cab drivers who marveled at us as we entered and exited their cars. But maybe, I could have done without the humidity who's role I cannot yet wax poetic about. But in the end George summed it up for me when walking through Bongeunsa Temple realizing what a sacred place it was for many, many Koreans, and said, "Mom, we just have to tell all our friends in Colorado about this place. We HAVE to. We have no choice. Don't you think, mom?" Indeed, I agree.
Another weekend Korean adventure success.

10 comments:

sarah said...

George is so cute! I love his passion. Those paper lanterns are beautiful. So do you ever see other Americans trekking about when you're on your adventures? Way to go getting out there and exploring.

Brooke said...

It's so odd for me to wake up to your post on Saturday morning...when your Saturday is already over! It makes me think that maybe I should do something more worthwhile with my Saturday.
Glad to see you're enjoying your adventures!
Brooke

Steve said...

When you take taxis, do you have to take more than one or will they let you all in one taxi? I always found taxi drivers to be some of the most interesting people I ever met.

Annee said...

They let us all jump into one. And indeed the taxi drivers are certainly a higher quality lot here than they are in the states. Always very friendly and talkative. As much as they can with us anyway. And Sarah, I think we saw maybe about five other American groups at COEX. But at the Temple, we were the only ones. Who knows why?!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Amazing. I want to visit. Your girls look a lot older.

Annee said...

Please come cousin!!

sara b said...

I totally agree with the cab driver, "you the chief!"

Sarah said...

Hi Annee,
Eliza gave me your and Liz'a blog address and I've had so much fun looking at them. You've got to love the AF for giving you adventures like these. What fun memories to make with your family! It was fun to see pix of your family, best of luck!
Sarah Knight

Rachel F. said...

Henry looks so old with his haircut!! Crazy.

I can't wait to come visit.

Grandma Z said...

I think it is cute that at the bus terminal five nice Koreans started giving you instructions and trying to help you get where you were trying to go. That says something sweet about their nature, or even how they feel about Americans.
Love, Grandma Z in Germany