Thursday, June 19, 2008

Images from Korea.

LAX at 11:30pm sitting on the floor because it was so completely crowded. All the kids were beyond tired and to pass the time, they all opened their backpacks and started pulling out all of their toys for the flight!


We found that the girls slept best if they could lay down across two seats. But then that left only one seat left for two people. In this case I convinced Ruby to play on the floor so as not to disrupt Jane who slept the very least on the flight!

Here we are having just arrived in Korea. Henry was smiling because we had found Darin and the burden of the trip was beginning to lift.

Last night we walked off base. The boys kept wondering how they would be able to tell when they were off base. Darin kept telling them the moment they were off base they would know it. At first when we told them we were going off base Henry said, "Outside the gate?! No way, I am not going outside that gate!" We live right by the edge of the base, so we see this very clear line between our side and the out side, and Henry was feeling very protected on our side. But Darin had said dinner would be at McDonald's and that is only off base, so they had to go.

We found an open food market down a dark alley. The smells were unbelievable, but it's these kinds of places that I've wanted the kids to see. So it was all worth it.
Be sure and blow up this picture, we were walking right past whole fish and even octopus just sitting on a table in the alley.

Then finally we got to the clothing district where Jane and Ruby were drawn to the Korean princess store. Believe me, I'm going back here to get them their very own Korean Princess dresses custom made! What a trip.

Mission accomplished! We had dinner at McDonald's and got exposed to "outside the gates". Tomorrow is Saturday and we have big plans to have our first experience on the subway. We will update accordingly. Wish us luck!! Now I'm off to the pool with the kids.

12 comments:

Alyssa said...

so crazy. you live in Korea. Thats crazy. Jane's hair looks cute by the way.

Alyssa said...

darin's hair looks good too.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Amazing. I still cannot imagine the flight there. A red eye flight with no husband and 4 kids to Korea. Unbelievable. What exciting adventures. I am loving this blogging thing and I can see Korea through your eyes. I am sure you get a lot of looks with your twin 3 yr old blonde girls.

Ie Li said...

Annee, you have no idea the memories that come flooding back as you post those pictures. Does the base only have one gate? If not, which gate are you by? I remember that the street we would go to by the base to get souvenirs was right by a gate, but I can't remember what gate it was. Could you post a picture of the gate so I could see? I'm jealous of your adventure.

Steve Z.

Christy said...

Love the pictures! You are going to have the best posts for the next two years. I can't wait to see and read all about it!

Jana said...

Annee,
What a life changing experience these 2 years will be. You totally remind me of your mom--you just roll up your sleeves and do what needs to be done while finding humor about it along the way. You are fearless. I loved your last post--the analogy of Jane holding her nose in embracing change. I think that's so true! You let a little bit of change in at a time and before you know it you're coping and even thriving. Keep the pictures coming... Love, Jana

Kim said...

Can't wait to see more about Korean princesses. Thanks for the updated pictures...we're missing you at school, nursery, playgroup...

Rachel F. said...

Hmmm I forgot about the smell.. Hopefully all your stuff isn't too infused to use when you return! I remember Steve shipped a box home from his mission that was promptly quarantined to the garage after we cracked it open.

Now you're that ebay seller with the smelly packages! :-)


(can we still tease you even though you have to live in Korea?)

Annee said...

Steve, Darin thinks they wouldn't look kindly upon me if I were to take pictures of the main gate. Force security and all. But as far as we can tell, there is only one main gate, so it would be the same one, and the souvenir shops dominate the landscape on the "outside". But I will work on getting more lay-of-the-land photos.

You can make fun of me Rachel, as long as you also participate in my "stuck in Korean" inaugural marathon...

Brooke said...

I'm just constantly in awe....I don't really even know what to say...I just read your posts and start to cry...you guys are so brave!

Laura said...

I keep coming back to look at those pictures!! So cool to witness another culture and yet still be able to live on an American base. I look forward to more pictures and amazing stories.

Liz said...

I think I would have felt a little like Henry did, but at the same time I would be so curious to see what life was like outside the gate. I can't wait to see the Korean Princess Dresses. Did McDonald's have all the same food we have in the states?