Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's not really your home until...

You bake your first batch of cookies. Don't you think? Which Jane and I did on Friday when Darin got to come home from work early since he's not totally up and running yet there. With Darin home I was able to walk over to the commissary to buy chocolate chips.

As many of you are aware, my heart mostly belongs to Colorado. But on occasion here on the blog, I will try to highlight reasons why Korea deserves some love too.

Here is reason number one why Korea isn't all bad. Baking at nearly sea level produces the most fluffy cookies I've baked in nearly 15 years. And all without any special effort or recipe alterations. So for that, one point is awarded to Korea.


A picture of Soraksan Tower (we live on the third floor) while we were sitting on a bench at the commissary waiting for a taxi. Which brings me to another point of comparison where Colorado it appears will always win...the lack of blue skies. Perhaps my brother Steve (who's heart belongs in large part to Korea) will have something to say in Korea's defense on this point? We've been here lots of days now, and I'm not sure that I've seen the color blue in the sky yet.

I guess it's Monsoon season, so maybe that has something to do with it. On Saturday morning Darin told me that Osan has a biking/running trail that he suggested I go discover. He gave me directions to the air field and told me how to find the path. About 25 minutes into it, the humidity was so oppressive, I wondered if I should just turn around and find a cab back to the house. Unfortunately I kept going. At about 45 minutes into my lap around the air field out of no where they skies opened and the rain poured down so fast that all I could do was laugh. I was completely drenched. It kept raining until finally 1 hour and 20 minutes later I had found my way back home, at which point, it stopped raining.

So a point is awarded to Korea for having a running trail. But Colorado does not have a season called Monsoon. And neither do they have a sign on their running trail that says "Explosives Safety Clear Zone". Which just left me wondering who was safe in the preceding zone, the explosives or me? One point awarded to Colorado and the Santa Fe trail. Again, the competition is going to be stiff!

Here are pictures of our Saturday trip to learn how to ride the subway. The kids standing in front of Songtan station.

Thanks to my brother Steve for giving us very specific instructions, we felt all confident to take the four kids on the subway. We were to take it only two stops, and then get off, and be able to walk at that point to E-Mart (Korea's version of Target).

Here is Ruby staring at the rice fields. For some reason, our kids think they are as awesome as an animal in the zoo. We had to pause and look every time we were walking past rice fields (which meant a lot of pausing and stopping). You can see E-mart in the back ground.


E-Mart is a good resource to know about. Saturday is maybe not the best day to be there. It was overwhelmingly crowded. But we discovered "Eat Smart" in E-Mart. It's like a food court. They had McDonald's. Which is always a good find for the kids. After sitting there long enough I got up enough courage to walk over to the kiosk and order myself and Darin some Korean food. They had the English name underneath the dish I wanted so I tried to say it in English. But it didn't go so well. The woman didn't speak a word of English in return. Instead I started going off of the price. She'd enter something into the computer, then I'd see it wasn't the right price, so I'd say no. Finally something popped up with the right price, and so I said, "Yes, I want that." Luckily whatever I got was delicious. We will order food again at "Eat Smart". Oh the joys of being in a foreign country!

Hope you had a great weekend too.

12 comments:

junioraudio said...

annee,
if you write a book, i will be first in line to buy it. such great storytelling!

scott

Ie Li said...

Annee,
I'm glad you found E-Mart. I've been worrying ever since I sent the email that it would not be as easy as I said.

With regards to the blue sky, I think your assessment is accurate. It does seem like there are few days of blue sky. Part of that is because of the season. Part of that could have also been because I was in Seoul and the air isn't very clean. I think where you are in the spring and fall you should see some blue sky.

One thing about rain. You want to be sure no Korean old ladies catch you in the rain with no umbrella. I've been yelled at a few times because I did not have my umbrella. Something about the rain making my hair fall out.

Love,
Steve Z.

PS- Your posts are really getting Ie Li and I excited about the possibility of moving there. We'll see what happens.

Ie Li said...

Annee,

When I lived in China, I paused whenever I saw a rice field too. I think they're so beautiful for some reason. I love how perfectly rectangular they are.

I'm curious about what you ate at E-Mart. Could you describe it?

Steve and I went to H-Mart (a Korean supermarket) today and ordered some Korean food there. We thought a lot about you. It looks like you're having a great time and making the most out of everything. You're amazing.

Love,
Ie Li

Annee said...

Steve, I think it was called Curry Dun-Ku? It was a very large platter full of food. It had a fried chicken breast with a delicious sauce over half of it. A big pile of rice. A curry potato chicken dish. A cabbage salad, a cup of soup, and a dish of kinchi (sp?). It was all for $6.50 too. We were very impressed. Me, Darin and the girls all ate it together. Way better than McDonald's. Very comical though trying to order it. I will watch out for old Korean ladies next time I am stuck in the rain!

sarah said...

oh man those cookies look perfectly delicious! you are awesome, annee. thanks for sharing your stories and impressions.

Karin said...

Such awesome experiences for your kids and entire family! I admit- I'm a bit jealous! (of the experiences AND the yummy cookies...:)

Alyssa Lark said...

just curious...how much is gas in korea?

Steve said...

Annee,
I think it is Curry Don Ga Se (돈가스). You definitely got lucky on your first experience with Korean food. That is a standard that almost all missionaries like when they first arrive in the country. You can start with that and then move on to some other yummy things.

About the gate you live by, I looked on Google earth and I think you are right that there is only one gate. Is there a 7 Eleven near that gate? I have definitely been there. There should also be a Burger King near by if McDonalds is getting too repetitive. I will say, though, that McDonalds ice cream in Korea is very good - even better than in the states I would say. And it is cheap. On a hot day, there is nothing like it.

Steve Z.

Annee said...

Yes Steve, the 7-11 is right outside the gate. And we have discovered that McDonald's ice cream is different than in the states, as in slightly better. Super cheap. We let everyone have one after dinner. We have Burger King here on the base also. I don't actually plan on letting them have McDonald's so very often. It's just George who is trying to collect all of the Kung Fun Panda toys, and here in Korea, they let the children pick out the exact toy that they want. So George is on a mission.

Sandy said...

I can't help but chuckle at "E-Mart" and "Eat Smart". I guess it's not funny, its just different and unfamiliar. I'm sure you spend a lot of time chuckling at unfamiliar stuff. What an adventure. I love living through you, Annee!

Liz said...

I'll be second in line behind Scott to buy your book. I love reading this! I had to laugh at the image of you on a trail/field when the sky opened and rain poured down on you. I'm glad you laughed too. I hope Monsoon season doesn't last much longer.

Rachel F. said...

Oh my gosh that picture of the cookies is pure torture!! Everytime I see it I want to immediately taste them. It'll be a long couple months before I'll get to have delicious cookies like those again.