Sunday, October 04, 2009

My Week in Sewing.

Last Sunday:

A "give thanks" banner, to get us all into the season.


Started on Wednesday: My second attempt at a Village Frock.

When it was finished, it was very blue. The word "fly" came to mind. I want these ladies to reach for the stars their whole lives. Then I settled upon balloons and "soar". Hoping to achieve the teaching of moral lessons, through high fashion. Yes? No?


Of course a companion outfit was needed. The dress was done by Friday, and thus began construction of the tulle skirt on Saturday.

At first it was hated. Didn't I know black is NOT a girl color?! But after discussions over cups of hot chocolate, it was decided that no one would hate it without wearing it first.


Jane wore it to church, Ruby wore it after church. It will be loved in the end.

Inspired by this skirt here, and this skirt here.


Come Sunday night, I thought I had sewn enough for one week. But Ruby lovingly came to inform me that we hadn't made anything to match her pink hair flower, which can also double as a shirt adornment. And don't know you, she was right. We certainly hadn't paid enough attention to the fact that the pink flower needed an outfit to go with. I told her I could probably pull together a skirt after she went to bed on Sunday night.

She picked the fabric from the stash, I used this tutorial, and she smiled and jumped her way out the door to school this morning.


But what I'm most excited about is the intermittent progress and attention the Epic Korean Quilt has received this week. I'm now twelve rows into it. I think I only have four left, and then to decide how to piece together the backing, and if there should be a border. So far, I'm loving it. Really, really loving it.

Well, that's it. That's all I could sew this week.

Love,
Annee

10 comments:

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

That's it? Amazing. Very excited to see finished quilt. It looks great.

Rachel said...

Annee, move to Portland when you are done with Korea. We will be best of friends and spend our afternoons sewing little girls frocks and swapping our best sewing tricks. Maybe we'll open a shop. . . on second hand, we'd probably just keep it all for our own little girls. Maybe we'll sell just enough to fund the next Sunday's dress, but that's it. :)

Liz said...

Oh man. It's all so beautiful. The village frock, two skirts, but the one that made me gasp was the quilt. It is stunning already. I'm so excited to see the finished product. Keep up the good work this week!

Annee said...

Sounds perfect Rachel! And given that Darin is from Oregon, it wouldn't even be a hard sell! I love your smocking. That's something I've never tried. But I've got many more weeks of sewing ahead. I like your thinking. We only need to be able to fund next Sunday's dress. That's all.

sarah said...

The quilt is absolutely stunning! What a talent. Really. Could you ever have imagined this is what would have come from you time in Korea?

Sarah said...

Wow Annee, what a week. Everything turned out awesome. I love that Ruby came to you knowing you could make something wonderful to match her flower. Your quilt is beautiful. I have been thinking of making a quilt like that with all my leftover squares. Now I'll just have to.

sara b said...

You are so talented it amazes me! I have missed keeping up with your blog this summer. It looks like I have a lot to catch up on. When do you get back? Is it soon enough where we could start planning a girls weekend???

Lori said...

you are going to miss Korea! I bet you're going to have your mo-ped loaded with fabric to bring back to America! What amazing creations. The girls laughed when I said I wanted to take up sewing.
One day...

Alyssa Lark said...

Don't worry... I already bought fabric to copy your banner and skirt. Darling... Ada needs that skirt. And that banner will great in my living room. Thanks for letting me copy you. :)

sara b said...

Let's start planning summer/fall of 2010! It will be here before we know it! Where are you moving back too?