We've had some good times recently. And with the exception of one, the best part of all of them is that they've been unplanned. They have been moments that just evolved and ended up being really good. I'm happy to report upon such event, and document them. Good times happen all around us, and frequently we don't fully appreciate them, until we are not having a good time anymore!
(red eyes included for a more spooky effect!)
One night this week, the boys were off doing something right before dinner. Which left me and the girls home getting things ready for dinner. I had already started cooking dinner, but then somehow the girls got the big idea that they wanted to decorate for dinner. With a few little suggestions on my part, they pulled it all together and called it a "spooky feast". Although, Ruby did no appreciate the spooky music that Darin found to accompany the meal. She said the music made it entirely too spooky, and made him turn it off! None of it had been a plan, even fifteen minutes before it happened. But when the boys walked in to a dark house and a candle on the dining room table, it instantly meant dinner was going to be "fun". And it was!
Then one day after school this week, I noticed the house was so totally peaceful. Everyone was quietly engaged in something and no one was arguing or complaining. I grabbed my camera right there and then and caught a glimpse of what each one of them was doing. I wanted to remember that moment forever. The word "bliss" came to mind as I approached each kid and photographed.
Ruby on the computer, happily and quietly playing some game, and smiling to the camera!
Notice there is stuff scattered about. The house was not in perfect order. Things surely were supposed to be happening. But to have all four kids in the exact same moment having such satisfaction in what they were doing, just made me feel so happy.
Then came Saturday with the Saber Run 2009 Half Marathon that had my stomach tossing and turning for days leading up to it. I was going for a PR and it was about to do me in. To push yourself and stretch yourself, and set expectation for yourself. I almost wanted to call in sick! But I couldn't have done that to myself either. You have to show up to your event and see what you're made of.
And thankfully, I didn't disappoint myself. I repeated the mantra over and over again in my head, "leave it all on the course". That's what I wanted to do on Saturday. I wanted to run as if that was the only thing I was going to do, therefore saving NOTHING for afterward. And I came pretty close!

The airplane trophy really made it all worth it in the end. And still today as I am hobbling about, painfully sitting and standing, I just look at that airplane on a stick and KNOW it was all totally worth it!!
Well, you know I'm kidding about that. But it's always worth it to show up for yourself when you've challenged yourself to a duel. The mind is our most powerful athletic tool. I find it somewhat shocking that as I've been planning for this race the number 1:42 was in my head all along. As if my mind was just waiting for my body to catch up. Powerful lesson indeed. PR achieved most gratefully.
And since we were going to be sticking around for the awards ceremony we were happy that there were all kinds of fun things for the kids to do too. I told George that there was going to be a kids race, so starting on Tuesday, he would come home from school, do his homework, practice the piano, and then watch Pokemon on the TV while running on the treadmill! He completely shocked me the first day when he walked out at the end of Pokemon having just run two miles! That's impressive, in case you were wondering. Then he came home and did that again on Wednesday and Thursday. Then he rested after that in order to be ready to run for Saturday. It was a neck and neck race between him and a little Korean kid, and in the end, I think he took second, just like his mother! Way to go George!!!

Henry didn't feel like racing was his cup of tea. But sumo wrestling appealed to him indeed. We all got a good laugh out of Henry in his sumo suit! That was totally a good time!


The ladies? Well, you know they can never be upstaged. They jumped into the 4 and under race, Halloween skirts and all. No matter that they didn't have tennis shoes on, there was a race to be run, and they were going to do it!
Love Jane's starting line pose. She thinks every moment of her life is an opportunity for a photo shoot. But is she wrong?!

So anyway, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. As any mother well knows, no victory is ever hers alone. Wherever I go, my crew follows. And to be running around a corner during the race, to catch a glimpse of Darin with the kids parked 1/2 mile up the road always made me get a bit choked up. I couldn't do it without their support. They encourage me, and love me, and show up for me when I need them. And most of all, they always think I'm the winner! I love them all.
Yep, we've totally had some good times.
Then came Saturday with the Saber Run 2009 Half Marathon that had my stomach tossing and turning for days leading up to it. I was going for a PR and it was about to do me in. To push yourself and stretch yourself, and set expectation for yourself. I almost wanted to call in sick! But I couldn't have done that to myself either. You have to show up to your event and see what you're made of.
My friend and new running partner Kim took first in the women's field with a 1:40 finish. I came in second in 1:42!!
Well, you know I'm kidding about that. But it's always worth it to show up for yourself when you've challenged yourself to a duel. The mind is our most powerful athletic tool. I find it somewhat shocking that as I've been planning for this race the number 1:42 was in my head all along. As if my mind was just waiting for my body to catch up. Powerful lesson indeed. PR achieved most gratefully.
And since we were going to be sticking around for the awards ceremony we were happy that there were all kinds of fun things for the kids to do too. I told George that there was going to be a kids race, so starting on Tuesday, he would come home from school, do his homework, practice the piano, and then watch Pokemon on the TV while running on the treadmill! He completely shocked me the first day when he walked out at the end of Pokemon having just run two miles! That's impressive, in case you were wondering. Then he came home and did that again on Wednesday and Thursday. Then he rested after that in order to be ready to run for Saturday. It was a neck and neck race between him and a little Korean kid, and in the end, I think he took second, just like his mother! Way to go George!!!
The ladies? Well, you know they can never be upstaged. They jumped into the 4 and under race, Halloween skirts and all. No matter that they didn't have tennis shoes on, there was a race to be run, and they were going to do it!
Yep, we've totally had some good times.

7 comments:
Cute. Good job! I am kind of shocked at how old your girls look in these photos. What is the story behind the wooden ducks? Are the bills tied shut?
Congrats on your PR!! That's an awesome time!! I love that moment of "bliss" - I would've grabbed a camera too. :)
Way to go, Annee!! I love how you make a half marathon look like one of your routine family activities. Congrats on the PR--that is truly impressive. And I'm glad you have an airplane on a stick to memorialize the event...too funny. Very cute to see your kids following in your steps and running, too.
nice work! i love the pics of the kids. jane reminds me of my annie -- always ready for the camera :-)
First of sll Happy Birthday! I can't believe what a wonderful seemstress you are! I'm totally impressed...
By the way, I follow your blog and I know that I love posts from the people that see mine so I wanted to comment on yours:)
You are a running rock star Annee! I'm so proud of you, and now know for certain, we could never run together. I would slow you down, WAY down!
So many triumphs in that post. Congrats on your PR!! I bet that felt sooo good after so much pre-run turmoil.
Post a Comment