Sunday, October 11, 2009

Savoring

(Did you know you could look that excited when you were 32?!)


My birthday was lovely. Thanks so much for asking. The highlight of course was that it was celebrated with Major Earnest. If you will recall, this time last year, he was out of the country! He is ever so thoughtful, especially about birthdays. On the night before my birthday I walked past the boys room and saw a father-son pow-wow taking place, I was certain it meant things would be happy the next day. When I asked the Major what all the whispering was about, he told me the boys were genuinely worried that he had forgotten that the next day was my birthday! He had to assure them that he had taken care of everything! What a great example he is giving them as they go out into the world as fathers and husbands. Because, when I walked out into my kitchen on my birthday, the dishes from the night before were magically GONE, and the house was decorated with my favorite birthday streamers and other decorations.

My morning started at 7am with breakfast in bed delivered by my very own George. It was a low-key sort of a day for most of the time, since school and work were in session. But at 4pm since it was my birthday, I climbed back into bed to watch myself the Oprah show. On any other day, I would never indulge in such a treat. But your birthday only rolls around once a year. It was a fine episode to catch. All about Stephanie Nielson, of the famous NieNie Dialogues. It was a wonderful reminder to myself on my birthday to cherish everyday, and be grateful that my hands can do so much and serve so very many. After my short sojourn in bed, I climbed out only because my family was taking me out to dinner!

Dinner was followed by our to-die-for chocolate cake that Darin had baked the night before and the girls and I had frosted during the afternoon.



And cake was preceded by the opening of presents:

(Modeling my new birthday sweater from Anthropologie, and the Garmin that is delayed en route, but to be sure is, en route!)

The day after my birthday I sent all the children off to school as I normally do, and then laced on my running shoes, as I normally do. And I wondered, would I feel as I normally do? After all, I am a year older now. So, I was thoroughly relieved to learn on my run, that in fact, I do not feel a minute past 31, thank you very much! And I think I've decided that I'll be 31 forever. Whether the birth record declares it so or not. 31 is so very close to 30, which is even closer to 29, which is after all still being in your twenties, and so it goes.

And the next best thing about my birthday this year is the fact that the to-die-for-chocolate cake has lasted all the way until Sunday night. Each day since my birthday more forks full of chocolate cake have found their way to my mouth. Helping me declare once and for all, that it is one of the BEST chocolate cakes I've ever eaten, and I think it will ever after be my birthday cake of choice.

To another great year, ever looking forward, not backwards. Ever embracing the moments that we are given. Ever loving the children that surround me and define me. Ever thanking the Major for his devotion and kindness and generosity, etc., etc. He is one of a kind.

And now a long weekend spent all together thanks to Columbus discovering America! Darin and I stayed in bed until 10am today. You might want to re-read that sentence. Did I mention how grateful I am right now?! We are savoring the fall, enjoying the beautiful weather that Korea is offering in repentance for the temperament of the summer. Putting nothing on the agenda, other than a dose of fresh air at some point during the day.












Oh yeah, and eating forks full of chocolate cake with reckless abandon. After all, a birthday only comes once a year. Thanks to all for the many birthday wishes sent my way. I received them all with gratitude.

And it wouldn't be a long birthday weekend if there hadn't been some unplanned sewing taking place. A package arrived on my birthday with some Heather Bailey fat quarters. And the "Stitch" magazine had a patchwork skirt that I wanted to try, and voila...




(Thanks for the modeling poses Ruby!)

7 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday. Hope you have a great year ahead.

Ana said...

Happy Birthday Annee!! It looks like you had a great celebration and some awesome chocolate cake! I love that your boys wanted to make sure you were taken care of the way you deserved to be. Just think, your next birthday will be in America. :)

Liz said...

Happy Birthday! I love that the boys were worried that Darin had forgotten, but indeed he had not. How sweet!

The patchwork skirt is smashing. Ruby's modeling skills definitely add to it's awesomeness.

Lori said...

What a great birthday! Way to go Major Earnest and kids!

jana said...

happy birthday. sounds like you had a great day.

Jana said...

Wait! You know ANOTHER Jana? How sad, I thought I was your one and only! Happy Birthday, indeed. I really do remember it every year. Way to go Darin for a well- executed birthday celebration.

And of course, love the skirt. You really have a knack for sewing...I love seeing your creations.

sara b said...

I felt a tad jealous when I saw you were turning 32. For some reason I thought you were turning 33 because I am turning 33 soon. I felt so cool in High School that I was older than a lot of people in our grade, but now it just makes me feel old and lame! haha

Happy Birthday!!