Friday, January 02, 2009

On Monday we went to Lotte World.

Lotte World claims to be the largest indoor amusement park in the world. On Monday, we went to check that out. It's probably true. We discovered a few other great things about Lotte World while we were there...

It also has an outdoor section with a castle, thus giving it added appeal to our own Fair Maidens who love a good castle themed park.




But then when it got too cold outside, we could simply cross back over the bridge and find a plethora of fun rides to go on, inside. It was a very handy feature on a cold and drizzly day in December.




Additionally, Lotte World is attached to a mall. A fancy mall. That added a plethora of attractions for the mom. And a lovely "American" food court. We decided in order to please everyone we'd play it safe with Pizza Hut. But then to make things crazy, we ordered the pizza topped with french fries and mayo, a la American?


And then for added intrigue while we were eating our french fry topped pizza we spied a table full of girls wearing Gymboree uniforms! I nearly leaped up from my chair and ran over to become best friends with them. But then, I realized that they were part of the Gymobree "Play and Music" franchise. So, I am still in search of Gymboree in Korea. June was the last time I got to walk into a Gymboree. It's still a little hard for me to talk about.

After lunch it started to rain outside, thus making the lines inside EXTRA long. So then we talked the children into following the sings inside Lotte World to the "Korean Folk Museum". There are no rides in this section of Lotte World so as you can imagine the crowds were much thinner, but you can...

...view miniature exhibits of Korean folk life.


...sit down on a chair for a coloring station.


...and view traditional Korean costumes.

When we could detain the children no longer in the Korean Folk Museum we braved the crowds once again in the "amusement" part of the Lotte World. (Perhaps they count the Korean Folk Museum as part of their overall square footage in their "world's largest indoor amusement park" claim. Our children might disagree with that computation.)

Once back inside Lotte Adventure, Henry convinced us that the now 60 minute wait for the "Splash Mountain" ride was reasonable, since it had been a 100 minute wait earlier.


George lost his first front tooth.
(The second one fell out a day later while swimming, making him a very rich toothless 7-year-old.)

And Jane got accosted by the Korean Paparazzi, and performed like a champ.

She had the whole crowd smiling at the end of her photo shoot. Thanks to Jane for being our sweet blond American Ambassador. Ruby, not so friendly to the strangers with cameras in hand...




And after nine hours of fun at Lotte World Theme Park, it's really amazing that we were still smiling.



P.S. Thanks to the parking lot attendant who stayed late enough to move the double parked car behind us (you can double park in Korea, as long as you leave your car in neutral). We really needed his services after totally shutting that place down!

13 comments:

Greg and Shara said...

What FUN! We wanted to go last week, but backed out, due to it possibly being so crowded (since it's Winter break for Korean schools). Looks as though you had a blast, and 9 hours....wow, yall are troopers!
I saw you this morning, in the car, on 1, with Darin...all by your little selves. What a treat...Greg and I were alone too, went to Seoul! Sorry to write a book, hope to run into you one of these cold, winter days!

Lori said...

what a fun adventure. How far is that from where you live?

sarah said...

Wow what an adventure. Too bad about the Gymboree disappointment. That would have been an exciting discovery. Can't believe you got pizza with french fries and mayo on it! Sounds kind of gross. Love Jane performing for the paparazzi. What a charmer. We miss you guys and wish we could spend some of these boring post-christmas days together.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I love that pizza. It looks absolutely disgusting. How was it? I love the whole paparazzi thing with the girls. Are you no longer blond enough to be a star too?

Brooke said...

That double parking thing is hilarious! How strange. It's interesting to look at your pictures....all the bystanders are always looking at you....that must be a weird sensation....glad to see you guysa are having fun....Harry and George look like twins now with their missing teeth!

Annee said...

I'm totally not blond enough to be a sensation! But I'm clearly American enough to get stared at wherever I go.

Once you wiped the mayo off of the pizza, it was actually good. In a very odd sort of way.

Lori, I think it took us about an hour to get to Lotte World. Not too bad. It's in the heart of Seoul.

Samantha said...

As Derek always said "Korea is the land of not quite right". I thought of that with your pizza picture, and the parking attendant. It's all about the life experiences though, right?

Laura said...

Your Korean adventures are so fun to read about and see! Happy New Year, Annee! I can't believe it's only been 6 months since you left - it seems like so much longer.

jana said...

Other countries and their cultures are so fun. I am jealous of you and all of your adventures in Korea. Thanks for sharing them.

Steve said...

It is strange but true that potato and corn on pizza actually taste pretty good. You should explore all the many types of pizza that Korea has to offer. Don't get sucked in by the American brands, though. When in Korea, do as the Koreans do.

Nancy O. said...

Well stated Steve. I agree, being completely unfamiliar with Korean things.

Rachel F. said...

Such cute photos! Thanks!

Can't imagine what a pizza with fries and mayonnaise is like?

How crazy that you can double park!! What an idea. I think that would lead to much chaos in America. Especially at the airport.

Grandma Z said...

When Dad and I went to Seoul in 2003, we stayed in the Lotte World Hotel that is attached, as Steve recommended. Very luxurious. We walked around Lotte World and took in the sights, no rides. It is fun to see you there and remember.

I would be happy to leave my car in neutral and let someone push it around, for the ability to double park!