The first photo in my January 2009 photo album is of this:
These are the colors and the patterns that are the things of my January dreams. It's the source of my inspiration this month. I have no idea what it will all come to, but I could look at this particular pallet all day long. It's all fabric designed by Anna Maria Horner.
And for Christmas, Darin gifted me with her book. It's like the gift that keeps on giving to both of us. Chapter ONE was on how to organize your space, it caused me to do some serious introspection about my sewing space.
And to Darin's total delight inspired me to change it into this:And after accomplishing such a feat, I was inspired to attempt my first project from her book, the Taxi Tote:

And yes, in Korea's ever vigilant attempt to win me over, one gloomy day at Happy Quilt, there I spotted an actual bolt of Anna Maria fabric. I'm continuing to contemplate buying the whole bolt. My line of thinking goes something like this; If I show the universe that I love it, by buying the whole bolt, more Anna Maria bolts will magically appear. Do you think I'm onto something?! Anyway, the Taxi Tote has come with me to church two Sundays in a row, and that's saying a lot for a tote bag of mine. Me and my totes are usually fair weather friends.
So I continued to sew in January...
Re-attempting the piped pillow tutorial with much greater success and less stress the second time around. Loved the seagull fabric from the Alexander Henry 2008 collection which is also starting to magically appear in Korea!

My second favorite fabric of 2009 the black, white and red ballerina print by Michael Miller. In a peasant dress by Anna Maria.


And another tiered skirt with a flower top. More springy, because winter can't last forever right?
He replies back, "Oh yeah, what about the boys going to school?"
And I reply back, "Hmm?" (Like I didn't hear what he said. It's a funny joke every time I do it.)
But someday, and maybe sooner rather than later, I think I really will try to go to Hawaii. More to come on that in the future.
And in answer to the question, "Do you get the US holidays off in Korea?", let me just say that "Yes, we do. And we also get the Korea holidays off as well. Lots of great days off!"
So to celebrate MLK jr. Day, we went sledding. No, there is no snow here in Korea right now, but this sledding hill makes just enough to give us hours of good family fun:


And tomorrow will be the boys last day of school this week due to the Korean New Year celebration. It's one of those weekends when they advise that you not try to travel. So the question remains, what should we do? Hawaii maybe? (J/K Darin!)
And finally a package in the mail from Liz today! That always makes for a great day. The girls were hoping it was full of Barbies and Princess toys. Too bad it wasn't. In an attempt to make them forget that it was not full of toys, I let them spread the felt squares all around the living room....

And then to draw the activity out I told them to find items around the house that matched up with the color of square.

Little did I know that they have just enough of their father in them to make a simple game turn into a bit of a nightmare as Jane could NOT let well enough alone. Every square HAD to have items in an exact matching shade of the color square. Talk about kill joy. I was just trying to distract them, but then I had to fully engage to help them accomplish the task at hand, which wasn't a task at all, but just a game. Those Earnests are all the same, a bunch of perfectionist!! But in the end, each square had a matching item or four. And I now have a WHOLE lot of things to clean up. But, the girls loved it and are still out there playing with it right now. And Jane has requested that we leave it that way forever.
And yes, we push the grocery cart into our house to unload the groceries and packages. Ah, the joys of living in an apartment building!In all seriousness, the felt squares will most likely be used to craft up some sort of birthday banner for the month of February. We have half of our birthdays during two days of February. So that definitely is giving us something to look forward to next month (other than going to Hawaii).
And with that, I'll wrap up our full report of the month of January so far.

15 comments:
I am always so amazed at the things you sew. They are always beautiful and look so professional. I love the new tote! I think it is funny that I have to read your blog to see it since I never seemed to catch a glimpse of it at church. Really though, it would be great to have a talent like that. Your girls are lucky to have you. Not only do they have a wardrobe that all little girls dream of, but they also have a wonderful mother who will pass on her talent to them someday. Keep up the sewing!
When are you going to sell your stuff? That is probably an overwhelming thought.
I love the tote- I wish I could sew like you- but I am working on it, a little at a time....
Valerie
Annee-
I am going to Hawaii today to visit my sister. I will meet you there anytime.
They have a Navy base there on Kauai on a private beach which rents out beach cabins to the military for $40 dollars a day. Maybe you should make it a girls trip?
Also, I agree with Chirsty, when would you sell your bags? I would be your first customer.
Nancy
Can we live by each other someday? Your house looks so fun. I would love to come over and hang out and just sew all day. Ok, well maybe you would sew and I would pretend to know what I am doing. But it would be fun right?
I'm so glad the felt squares arrived!! Everything you create is so beautiful, but my favorite is the peasant dress!!
I also think Hawaii is calling your name. That would be so funny if one day Darin came home to an empty house. All in the name of humor I say you try it!
You're so very inspiring! Your bag is beautiful, you have a talent that is just incredible! I think I need some of that fabric (so that it can sit with the rest of my collection). Right now, scrapbooking is getting my spare time (or lack thereof). I'm sure sewing will come back around...I'm sure!
So much joy. It always looks like there is happiness going on. Surely it's not 24-7 but you've created some great beauty in all those little lives.
If you go to Hawaii I will meet you there. This is not a joke. I have 150,000 sky miles burning a hole in my pocket. Oh and it's winter in Utah...
I love seeing all of your fun projects. They are quite inspirational. After looking at your blog I have made the occasional trip to the fabric store to attempt my own projects.
Great post. I want to place an order for a tote in that exact same fabric combination. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen.
Oh, I forgot to say that the felt square/matching game idea is genious. I'm headed to get felt squares tomorrow. After I get it all cleaned up I will be checking your blog to find out how to make the birthday banner, okay?
The tote will look so cute next to you on a sandy beach in Hawaii.
Your creations are beautiful.
I have a yard of Anna Maria's "sketchbook" and I'm hoping to make a pillow out of it.
Your sewing room is something that I dream about.
Your sewing room is an inspiration of organization! I need to get to my sewing space, but I'm always in the middle of a project!
Best Mom, Ever!!!
Annee that matching squares game is right up Kayla's alley. Next time call her up and she will be happy to help the girls find matching anything - Legos? - for the squares. So fun! Love the tote, and when you go back to Happy Quilt to buy the bolt I'll go with you. :)
Post a Comment