We decided to celebrate the New Year with the East Coast (of the USA). So that meant at 2pm on January 1st ( Korea time) we sat down to watch the apple drop in Time Square.
It was the perfect plan. At 2:05pm on New Years Day, I totally had enough energy to make the Wiley's cheese fondue recipe and hang out with the kids all afternoon long. As opposed to 12:05am on Jan. 1st (Korea time), when I was fast asleep in my bed.


So out with the old, and in with the new, is the motto for 2009. Maybe. I hope 2009 will be full of optimism. Less complaining about living in Korea (Darin is pessimistic about this resolution). More consistent blogging. For Christmas Darin made me a Blog Book with all the blog entries up until October 2008 and it is now my most valuable possession. It's a beautiful family record which makes me appreciate anew the act of blogging. We haven't had such a consistent family record in the 10-years of our marriage.
Also, I hope 2009 will be full of fewer tantrums over what to wear. Seriously. Maybe I'll call it the year of "reigning in the drama". (You don't suppose there is any hope of that really, do you?!) With two girls the exact same age, I realize the next fifteen years (maybe 1000 years) of my life are going to be tumultuous at best. But somehow I feel that at age 3, and at 9 o'clock in the morning, I shouldn't have TWO girls who have melted onto the floor crying about what to wear that day. Right?

I have this awesome video to give you a glimpse of what I'm talking about. It's a few weeks old, that's how long I've been trying to get it uploaded. Ruby in particular had been crying about what to wear. My patience was wearing very thin, since it was so early in the morning (not my strongest time of the day). So instead of totally freaking out on her, I decided to pull out the video camera and see how long it would take her to notice that her tantrum was being filmed. I think I captured one and a half minutes of pure girl drama before she realized a camera was involved. Any day that the girls get dressed without a protest, I utter a silent prayer of thanksgiving. If perhaps this refiners fire is about me not showing enough gratitude, I'm working on that angle.
(The outfit settled upon AFTER the 15 minute crying tantrum.)HAPPY NEW YEAR! It's going to be good, I can feel it in my bones.

7 comments:
Happy New Year, Annee! My little sister Beth is pregnant with twins and she thinks they are girls. What can I say though? Your girls are so cute they can totally get away with it! I have no idea what I would do if there were 2 of my Jaynes. I'd probably move to Korea or something. . .
Annee-
How do you make the blog in to a book?
Nancy
It WILL be a great year! Looks like you all had fun. We miss you.
That fondue looks great. We should have done that too. I wonder if all little girls do that thing about getting dressed. June is still pretty oblivious to what she has on, although has a few times started to want to strip down.
I like the idea of celebrating the New Year in the afternoon instead of at midnight when everyone is tired. Maybe this scored Korea a small point??
Hopefully Jane and Ruby can lose the drama over what to wear everyday, but I have a feeling they will always care about what they wear. First off they are girls and I think most girls just care more. Then they say apples don't fall far from trees, and I remember when living with you on some days there would be a pile of clothes on your bed of outfits tried on to find the "perfect" outfit for the given day. I don't remember any tantrums, but then again I wasn't always around when you were trying on the outfits. So hopefully there is hope for Jane and Ruby!
Post the video!! Sounds amazing.
I can't believe how many people are having twins these days. It's definitely an abnormal increase. Maybe Grandma Z's theory is right about Heavenly Father needing to send them down in 2s to make up for people having less...? Doesn't make sense, but it really is strange.
It must be genetic. I occasionally have outfit crises myself, where nothing seems quite right. Oh well!
It makes me smile that you were ringing in the New Year right along with us. :)
Would you or Sarah share the fondue recipe? We were given a fondue set for Christmas and I'm a little bit at a loss.
I find your girls' clothing drama very amusing. They already have such a sense of style. I think our outfit drama is much milder, and I can often talk her into something reasonable. I'm guessing your two feed off of each other--what fun!
Post a Comment