Thursday, July 17, 2008

Who knew?!


We still travel around base old-fashion style, our feet and a double stroller. It's not always fun when you remember something like you ran out of pull-ups and it's 7:35pm. Or when it's 95 degrees with 100% humidity and you remember that you don't have anything for dinner.

But this afternoon I remembered I needed to paint my white walls some color other than white. And there is a place, it's called the "Self Help Center" and they will give me some nice neutral brownish color, which at least won't be white.

Having a bit of a compulsion when I move to get COMPLETELY moved-in and decorated within 30-days, I had to go there this afternoon. The calendar is ticking. But of course, it's changed locations, but not in the literature that is given out when you move in, so when we arrived in the neighborhood of building 449, there was no brownish colored paint for me to load the stroller up with. So that was sad. To soften the blow of disappointment we walked into the highly air conditioned commissary to think about what we could eat for dinner. But with all the sweat dripping down my face, somehow I had lost my appetite. Henry retained his, and persuaded his siblings that they should have some variety of mac and cheese for dinner. Whatever. I walked home with a box of mac and cheese. I was mostly distracted thinking about my walls that wouldn't be painted tonight between 8pm and 2am. Some dreams are hard to let go of.

But then when I got home, I saw an email saying my van will be in KOREA on the 18th. Is that tomorrow?! I think it is. It will be in Seoul. So perhaps a Korean adventure will be in order this weekend. Because, so help me, I think I need my car back.

But hey, in case you were wondering, if you run your errands late in the afternoon with a double stroller and two tired girls, they can still fall asleep in the stroller, just as they used to fall asleep in the car seat. So that part was nice, this afternoon. (Or maybe they had passed out from heat exhaustion and I should go check their pulse...)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Liz said...

Definitely heat exhaustion! I'm so excited you finally get your car. Now the real adventures begin. Or at least it will be easier to venture out with the Earnest bunch without worrying about the heat and complainers. Have fun!

sarah said...

That's very sad you couldn't get the paint. But don't give up. You can find it tomorrow. That looks like a very heavy stroller to push around in the heat. I'm glad you're getting your car soon.

Mandy said...

That is a great picture. I'm sure getting your car will be fabulous, and hopefully it will help you find your paint.

Good luck!

Jana said...

Moved in AND decorated in 30 days? That makes my head spin just thinking about it. You are one ambitious gal. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the day REALLY begins at 8pm. Nothing would ever get done if you went to bed at a reasonable hour.
Best of luck with finding your paint and getting it done--I'll be hitting it hard soon too.