Thursday, April 24, 2008

The situation.

Here's the deal: there was not enough salmon for just plain salmon fillets, and there was a pound of beautiful asparagus sitting in a cup of water in the fridge, staying fresh and crisp. But I knew it's days of staying fresh and crisp were numbered.

Here's the other deal: Today is Thursday. I think every night this week dinner has either been cereal, or something purchased on our way home from somewhere. I am not proud of that. We generally eat at home every night of the week, so it was time to cook.

The solution ended up being a salmon asparagus frittata, recipe courtesy of Foodnetwork.com . Sometimes my experiments are not so delicious. But tonight it was delightful.

I'm not kidding, give this one a try. It's great to cook outside of the box sometimes. Darin recently found a blog about a guy who cooked 365 different dinners last year. My immediate reaction was, "he must be single, and have no kids." I would never be so ambitious as that guy, but it's certainly refreshing to mix-it-up every once in a while.

P.S. Don't even bother to ask if the kids ate it...the girls enjoyed a delectable serving of Kraft Mac and Cheese. And I believe my boys each enjoyed a heaping bowl of Corn Chex.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Annee, good for you!!!! I am stuck in a rut with dinner. We eat the same boring, simple things over and over. How in the world did you find the time? Next time I have salmon,asperagus and an hour to kill, I'll have to try this one.

Ie Li said...

It sounds and looks delicious to me! I should give that one a try.

Annee said...

No dinner I make can take an hour, Sandy! Maybe the prep took me around 30 minutes, and that's only because my time is not undivided. Then it baked for around 30 minutes, during which time I was cleaning and setting the table and helping the girls change their clothes three times. So you know, cooking can be happening at the same time as so many other things!

sarah said...

wow that sounds delicious. i'm glad you and darin got to have a yummy dinner. that's what i miss the most when i just cook to please the kids.

Christy said...

That does sound yummy. I will have to try that. I'm glad to know your kids didn't eat it. It makes me feel better about my girls eating quesadillas once a day - at the minimum!

Rachel F. said...

Put the recipe on the food blog!! That's so awesome!

Grandma Z said...

What's the food blog? Can you put it here on your blog? Asparagus season is starting in Germany. They go all out with stands selling asparagus on the sidewalk and every restaurant featuring their asparagus menu with asparagus for every course. And their asparagus is white!. They grow it without much light (?) so photosynthesis won't turn it too green. It is a delicacy. Luckily John and I like asparagus so we join into the season! Asparagus with hollandaise sauce, cream of asparagus soup, asparagus with schnitzel.... I need your receipe! Love, Mom

Annee said...

Mom, click on the link in the body of the post, and you will be directed straight to the recipe, which you can then print off and cook for dinner! I love when asparagus is back in season!