Under the dorky bird watching hobby, we would like to announce the arrival of a new bird. He came once before, but we were nearly out of seed, and a different bird scared him off. We've been anxiously awaiting his return. Yesterday was the big day. I let out a little scream when I saw him at breakfast, and all my kids came running. The picture I really wished I had gotten was that of all four of my children gathered on chairs, the counter, someone was in the kitchen sink as we all tried to get a good look a the new yellow bird. Henry was carefully whispering to everyone to stay quiet until we got the picture so that he wouldn't fly away. We have discovered that even while standing inside the kitchen, the birds are aware of us, so we have to stay quiet if we want to really observe them. Anyway, that was a classic moment that I will always wish I had caught of film. But as you can see, I was too busy snapping away at the American Goldfinch. Welcome Goldfinch, we are so glad you gave us a second chance. We hope you will breakfast with us often. Seriously, enlarge those pictures, that's a beautiful bird.

On Thursday night while being out with some friends, I happened upon these little strawberry sandals in the mega sale bin at Gymboree.
TWO PAIR IN THE EXACT SAME SIZE. It had to be a sign that I was supposed to buy them. That, and their $3.99 price tag! Can you imagine the joy that was Janie and Ruby's on Friday morning when there were strawberry sandals to wear?! It was a lovely day.

Move over Crocs, Mom bought us some berry sweet sandals!
And the final note about Friday is in regards to George. It has been a bit of a rough spell lately for George. He has been having frequent tantrums and melt downs over seemingly meaningless things. Some examples have been; when I told him on Friday morning it was time to get dressed for school, he actually screamed at me, "I thought you said we didn't have school today!!!". I replied that we always have school on Friday so he'd better get dressed and come eat some breakfast. But it took nearly ten minutes of yelling and crying before he could get dressed and eat breakfast. Along the way his pants didn't feel right, his socks didn't feel right, and he couldn't find a shirt that was the right size. All of that before 7:30am. And the day just kind of went downhill from there.
Later that evening Darin decided he and the boys needed a little outing, so he took them with him to Target. As they walked in, they spied all kinds of Strawberry Shortcake items in the $1 section. They thought it would be fun to get some stuff for their sisters who had stayed home and gone to bed. When they all got back home, George asked if he could go upstairs and lay the items outside of his sisters doors so that they would have a fun surprise in the morning. About three hours later when I went up to go to bed, this is what I found.

It looked so cute and thoughtful. It was hard to believe that the little boy who could think of this, was the same little boy who had broken down over about 25 little things throughout our day. Oh well, some things in life are just a mystery. I don't know if I'll ever fully understand George, but I was pleased to see a piece of his heart laid out for his little sister last night. And those are my notes about Friday.
8 comments:
I can't even tell you how jealous I am of your bird feeder. I want a tree outside my window where beautiful birds come to perch. I told the landscaper to plant a tree outside my kitchen window and he told me all the reasons it wouldn't work.
That is a sweet story about George. And sad. Why is he so tormented? But it is so great to get a glimpse of his inner heart every once in a while to keep the hope that everything will turn out ok. Every time you describe George it sounds exactly like Oliver.
I love George. What a sweet boy he is.
That is a beautiful bird. Perhaps when we go house hunting, a tree outside the kitchen window will help us seal a deal.
George and Harry are two peas in a pod. I like to think they're just passionate about life...for the good things and the bad. Harry is our toughest, and yet, at night, he's the one that we always have a funny story about as well. Today, I wouldn't let Harry come with me on an errand, and as I was driving away, he was screaming at my that I was "the worst mother ever!" It's tough though, when they're going through a bad spell...just try to remember the good spells...they'll inevitebley be back!
seriously though....george has such a sweet heart. And the bird is beautiful...I enlarged the pictures.
I love that your children have learned to appreciate the simple things in life: the beauty of birds, a great pair of shoes, and the joy of giving. We are taking a parenting class right now and learning about child development. It is made up of smooth stages and bumpy stages. But you need both to develop. It has really given me a fresh perspective on those not so lovely moments. I just think to myself, "This must be a bumpy stage!"
That's very cute (the birds, the shoes, the perfectly lined presents). What did the girls think when they woke up? George probably woke up before them..
How is George's health? Remember when one time he was so grumpy because his teeth were hurting him? Too bad there isn't always a clear solution to his distress..
P.S. Thanks for changing the comment time thing :-)
Pretty pictures.
How old is George? That is so cute that they got presents for their sisters. Your husband is training them to be great, thoughtful husbands some day just like him.
Post a Comment