Monday, December 10, 2007

Thank goodness we started a family tradition this year. George had to do a report this weekend and make a poster about a family tradition he has. I thought he'd pick something about Christmas, but he thought all on his own about our international dinner nights. So that made all the Sundays worthwhile. He was very proud of his poster and amazed that he was able to do it all in one afternoon. Too bad that even with my kids, I have no ability to teach them how to work ahead and get projects done any sooner than at the last minute...

Of course, after school today he was saying to me that his tradition isn't that special. I was all outraged, and said, "What do you mean it's not special? That's a great family tradition that we have." And he said, "Yeah, but other kids were talking about Jesus and stuff." Yeah, that would have been good too, I thought to myself. But I was working so hard to not steer the project at all, and just let it be all his idea. (p.s. Darin helped him make the poster. I had to go do a Primary visit. Lest this is all sounding like I did it. Darin would be offended!)

Also on Sunday (it was Stake Conference), we tried to create a Christmas card photo. Almost my only opinion on Christmas cards is that there should be a photo. So I pleaded with my family to comply. With the help of the self-timer, we spent FOREVER trying to get that one magical shot. I'll hold you in suspense to let you know if we got it....



Anyway, good times had by all. Jane was doing her best to make the Christmas card photo impossible. I think she alone was responsible for some new grey hairs in Darin's head yesterday. Never mind the fact that Darin thinks we should probably get to pass on having a Christmas card photo since we have two 2-year-olds this year. But thanks for letting me try anyway, Darin!

10 comments:

sara b said...

Oh the Christmas card photo. Always met with such resistance. I can't wait to see it. Your outfits are all so perfect. I especially love the boys outfits. I can't seem to find Christmas outfits that don't have a dove or a snowman on them. Would you recommend the self timer??

Annee said...

How could I recommend the self timer to a good friend? It's the sort of thing you would only wish upon your worst enemy. But it can get the job done. However, if you have a very patient friend, that's probably better.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Not that special?!? I am sure George's teacher was VERY impressed like the rest of us!

Christy said...

I love that tradition you guys have. Family pictures and my family are not two pharses you can say in the same sentence. You'll see.

sarah said...

Your outfits are great! Well done. That's the hardest part, I think.

Rachel F. said...

Those outfits are adorable.

Poor Henry the rule follower... Look at him smiling just like he should be in every photo. It must be a tough life when you're that obedient.

Annee said...

Totally. Every, single shot for fear of his parents retribution, he smiles. But you know, it doesn't go unnoticed and I completely appreciate such obedience.

Katie said...

Which do you prefer snow days or trying to take family photos?

Katie said...

If we have to ever make a poster on a family tradition, can we make one about your dinners? Your family, right? Those dinners are the cooleset ideas.

Jan Hawkes said...

I want to copycat your international dinners but they're way too much work. I bet the teacher was impressed! Your Christmas card photo promises to be beautiful. Please send me one. Taking Christmas photos was important to me when my family was young and they always sabotaged the effort. I love your idea of taking pictures of the picture taking! That says it all.