Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wednesday was awesome.

Late on Monday, I got an email from best friend Kim Newton saying that their family had just landed in Buffalo, NY, and that it seemed like somehow we could meet up somewhere along the way.  We zeroed in on Wednesday as the ideal day for both of our families to be in Palmyra.

What a treat!  We've spent a portion of our summer vacations with the Newtons for past three years in a row.  It only seemed right that we'd find a way to insect this summer too.  We met up at the Hill Cumorah visitor center.  After watching a movie inside, we all walked up to the top of the super steep hill.





Then back down to stake out the perfect seats to watch the pageant, later that night.  


There was lots of walking and talking...


Followed by lunch at "Brad and Dad's".  Followed by the tour of the printing house, where the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon were published.  Somehow we didn't end up with a single picture there?!


And finally we walked into the Sacred Grove.  



After a full day together, we had to send the Newtons off.  They were on their way to their grandma's 60th birthday celebration.  


After our good-bye, and "see you next summer", we went and checked into a hotel in Rochester.  We let the kids swim and relax a bit.  Then we drove back to Palmyra to watch the long anticipated Palmyra Pageant!


We were not disappointed.  That is a great show!


The pageant ended around 10:45pm.  Another hour to get out of the parking lot and back to the hotel, I'm pretty sure it was Wednesday night when George announced to the family, as we all laid down to try to fall asleep, "Hey look everyone, the clock says 12:34am!  Get it, 1-2-3-4!"

It was maybe the longest day of our vacation, but it was also one of the greatest!  So many fun things all piled into one epic day, as George would say.

3 comments:

Strommer Family said...

We were driving there on wednesday and camping just a few miles away...then saw pageant on thursday...would've been fun to have caught a glimpse of your family....just a question if you actually get this msg. Where do u get all your lovely name brand fabric (heather bradley, alexander henry, and the such) Just made your library skirt for destinee...loved it!! :)

Annee said...

Hey Ruth. How funny that we were that close to seeing you guys. Darin and I kept saying when we were there that night, that it felt like we should see someone we knew there too. Looks like we were a night too early :)

How fun that you made a Library Skirt too! You know, when we left Korea I brought back an enormous fabric collection. I still have packets that aren't open, and it's been a year now! Plus, I've had a few friends send me a bit more since we've been back. But now, when I want something specific from a specific fabric designer, I just go to Etsy.com to find what I'm looking for (just search using the designers name). Also, fabric.com is another good source, when you know what you're looking for. Hope that helps.

Brooke said...

You guys are doing such fun things.I'm trying to get Joe to go back to school to become a teacher just so we can have some summer time with him....well that, and because I think he'd be a great teacher! Anyway, glad to see you all together and having fun!
We sure miss you guys!
Brooke