Monday, July 18, 2011

Thursday was for PLAYing

We woke up Thursday morning at 10am.  The entire family, in one hotel room, slept until 10am!  We must have been tired.  When we finally rolled out of our beds, we settled on powdered sugar donuts and hot chocolate made using the hotel room coffee maker!  Did you know you could do that?  We didn't either.  Once everyone was full, we let the kids go for one last swim, and I did my second of two vacation, hotel-treadmill-runs.  That was the goal, and it was accomplished.  We let Darin stay back in the room and figure out what the plan for Thursday should be.

When we got back, he had everything packed up so we checked-out.  We vaguely thought we were going to head north already towards Niagara Falls, since that was the last place on our vacation to-do list.  But when we unexpectedly decided to drive around the block of our downtown Rochester, NY hotel (so we could say we "saw" Rochester), we happened upon the National Museum of Play.  Darin and I looked at each other, did a quick google search to see what it was all about, and when we saw that it was featuring an exhibit called "The history of video games", we were sure that the NMoP would have something for everyone.  And just like that, our plan for the day changed.  Oh how I love vacation!


In beautiful Downtown Rochester, NY 


The kids were thrilled with our last minute change of plans.


The highlight ended up being this wacky room that is designed on a tilt, and has so many patterns on the walls and the floors that instantly your equilibrium is out-of-whack, and you go crashing into the walls.  The kids couldn't get enough of it.


Sometimes playing is super serious business.  See below. 



Do you recognize where Ruby is standing?


She's on Sesame Street!


And we all got a kick out of sitting in front of the green screen and making it appear as if we were sitting and talking to muppets.  


And a huge part of our time was spent in the best mini-grocery store we have ever seen.  This one was seriously at the top of it's class.  Complete with the final receipt printing out and everything.  The girls were in heaven.


It's was a charming and relaxing day.  We shut the museum down.  When it closed, we left.  We were just a couple hours away from Niagara Falls, so we started driving north so that we could wake up Friday morning at The Falls.


Come back for Friday's update when I finally get to take my family to Niagara Falls.  Something I've been dreaming of, ever since I had a family ;)

4 comments:

Valerie Earnest said...

You must be married to an Earnest- what with the plans-changing-on-a-whim. Or do you do that naturally too?
Sounds like a really fun trip! Love hearing all about it.....

Annee said...

Valerie, changing the plans at the last minute is very much ME, and not Darin. He is actually the opposite of that. And I think I stretch him way outside of his comfort zone when I make him change plans at the last minute like that. But maybe it's why we go together so well?!

Rachel said...

How fun for me to see you out and about in my old stomping ground! We lived in Ithaca for two years when the boys were small, and we made it to the falls twice, and I've been to that Museum. We never did make the pageant because we were away summers. It's fun to see you there!

Brooke said...

I'm just living vicariously through your summer adventures. I'm totally jealous of your best tan of your life (from your MOM post)...you'd think if I spent the summer doing nothing like I did, I'd at least have a good tan to show for it. But nope, didn't happen. Great job on the knit sewing...looks amazing. Can't wait to see how the second one turns out!