Thursday, March 04, 2010

Moving on.

Just when I thought there might not be anymore improving on THE chocolate chip cookie recipe, I got a call from my cousin.  Not only did she explain to me that there need not be any reason for a dessert, you can just have it, but she also informed me that there was another chocolate chip cookie recipe worth trying.  And this one was designed to carry inside of it two scoops of your favorite ice cream! 


And, she promised I could just make it on any random day of the week, for no reason!  It was liberating.  But, she did fail to mention that when children eat such a ginormous cookie ice cream sandwhich, that it's best to have that ice cream be vanilla, not chocolate, unless you want to do lots of stain removing.  So, let me add that advice on to her advice about this dessert.  Go ahead, Lisa says it's okay, just make them, and eat them, you know you want to.  Here's her recipe:

Ginormous Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Alternately named, "Lisa's Cookies":

2 c. + 2 TBS flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt


1 1/2 sticks of butter melted, and then cooled for a few minutes
1 c. dark or light brown sugare
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yoke
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks

The method is basically the same as mixing your standard batch of cookies.  But these cook bake in an oven set at 325 degrees.  This recipe makes 18- 1/4 cup size cookies.  Measure out 1/4 scoops of dough onto two cookies sheets.  Put both cookie sheets into your preheated oven, at the same time, on two different racks.  Cook for 15-18 minutes.  But halfway through, rotate your cookie sheets, and switch them from one oven rack to the other.  Make sense?!

Let them cool for a bit.  Then fill with scoops of ice cream and serve.   Your family will love you forever for them.  Just like I'll love my cousin forever.

George asked me if this was a top secret, family recipe?

I don't believe too many things should be top secret, but I would guess the Major disagrees with me on that topic.

Ruby told me that when she grows up and has her own little kids, she's going to bake them these cookies for dessert too, that's how good they are.

 

But really, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I?  Our blog is stuck back on February 20th which was Ruby and Jane's 5th birthday.  Their actual birthday, not their birthday party.  


Our morning was filled with our typical early morning birthday party, full of surprises and presents from each of us.  Pink two wheeled scooters were obviously at the top of the list of exciting surprises!  These cute matching aprons came from Grandma Lark in Oregon.  The girls were thrilled to get them!  Darin does such a good job of photographing the birthday morning party.  The kids are going to treasure his photography and the moments that he captures.  Too many to post here.


Their party was followed up by our Ward's Primary talent show.  Of course the girls had to wear their birthday outfits again, and what talent might they be demonstrating?  Well, that would be ribbon dancing, of course.  They had learned it the day before, so it had indeed become a talent in those shorts 24 hours.  Lovely!

The boys worked long and hard on their Lego Star Wars stop motion movie.  They were a huge hit with the male 10-and under crowd.  All the other boys wanted to know how they did it.  I wish I knew how to post it here!


The talent show was followed up by dinner at Chili's, where Ruby mostly sat like this, convinced that the Chili's waitressing staff had forgotten that it was her birthday.  What a diva.


In the end, it wasn't really about the singing, it was mostly about the chocolate shake.  That makes a bit more sense, right?

The next day it was Dear Old Dad's birthday.  He turned 35.  What a guy.  Too bad I'm the photographer on this day, we have like three photos to show for it all.  He wanted a Kindle, so we got him a Kindle.  He wanted a traditional eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns and orange juice breakfast, so I made it for him.  He selected Chilaquiles Verdes for dinner.  So I made it for him!  And he honored his yearly tradition of the decadent Red Velvet cake, split down the middle with one half pecans, one half no pecans.  



George wanted to get him a scooter so that the whole family could scooter in the halls together.  And as if there wasn't anything the Major would rather do on his birthday, he scootered in the hallway with the children, until the neighbors asked them to please not scooter in the hallway anymore.



I love him so!  And the Chilaquiles Verdes recipe that he found, was seriously one of the most delicious meals ever to come out of our Korean kitchen.  Right down to the homemade corn tortilla chips that we fried ourselves.  Wileys, they tasted just like we were sitting together on your picnic blanket at the So. Pasadena Farmers market...if only we were.  Sigh.

Oh boy, now I think I can finally accept the fact that it is March 5th. 


P.S.  To my sisters, and my cousin, who is also my hair dresser, what the *&!@#$ has happened to my hair?!




It's like I can barely recognize myself.  I feel the need to introduce myself, "Hi, my name is Annee, I used to be blond, until I moved to Korea."

Oh, whatever, I'm over it.  Just had to vent for a moment.  Brunette is kind of cool too.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Those chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches look sinful! Thanks for sharing!

I love that the whole family rode their scooters in the hall. Where's yours Annee???

Brunettes have just as much fun as blondes!!!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I have so many comments. You house looks great. I love all the personal touches you have all over the place. It is hard to believe you have only been there less than two years. Lots of beautiful creations. Talented.
I am glad the cookies are such a hit. Totally worth the two or three miles.
You have been a blond and a redhead so why not a brunette?! But is that the best picture we get? Hard to tell what to think of it in that photo.
It is great that Darin has a scooter. I have been known to ride around these streets in Wisconsin on my scooter. They are a blast. We too have enough to outfit our family.
The girls have such great wrapping paper on their gifts. It will be a sad day when they grow out of all things princess/strawberry shortcake/barbie.

sarah said...

It's about stinkin' time for you to join the brunette side of the family. I am confident R&C will join us too, as soon as they run out of time and money to keep themselves blond.

I miss the SP Farmer's Market! We're definitely going to try that chilequeles recipe. And who am I kidding? We'll try the ice cream cookies too.

Happy Birthday to the girls and to Darin! And congrats to mom for pulling it all off with such pizazz.

Brooke said...

Well, I'll have to try the new cookie recipe...we just got these new ice cream sandwiches at ColdStone, and I find myself unable to stop eating them...so on second thought, maybe I wont try the recipe...I'm sure the homemade version is much better. What is it about a cookie and ice cream? Mmmm...

I just want to say how properly you seem to be raising your girls. I was thinking today that I'll never get to have a princess party again, and that I didn't properly enjoy it when I had the opportunity (thinking of course that more girls would eventually come) Now, I find I'm sad that I didn't really revel in the little girly things that are so fun, but also so fleeting. So...good job...you seem to be really enjoying this time!
And finally, yes, your hair is certainly brunette. As someone who has also made that transition (albeit not as naturally as you seem to have), I can truly say that brunettes have just as much fun as blondes...minus all the expensive upkeep!

Christy said...

I love the brunette!