Monday, September 22, 2008

The "Miss Madeline" Dress

My living room curtains and bedroom curtains remain un-sewn. Seriously, how could I concentrate on anything else, with this BEAUTIFUL fabric, and adorable pattern sitting in my sewing room?!

The girls watched my every move as this dress was coming along. They wanted to try it on at every step along the way.



When I announced that it was complete, Jane sprinted to me to be the first one to put it on. Of course I stressed over and over again that this dress belongs to both of them. But I can see already, I'm going to need a second one.



Good thing I got a good night sleep last night, I think tonight is going to be a late night. But totally worth it to see how excited the girls are about the little apron dress, in a new longer length. Perfectly irresistible for the new fall wardorbe.




I'm off to sew...

11 comments:

sarah said...

well it sounds lovely but why aren't the pictures working?

Annee said...

I think I fixed the picutres?

sarah said...

Wow looks great! Cute fabric. You're getting really good at mix/matching patterns and prints. Well done.

Rachel F. said...

PLEASE tell me you're collecting Yo-Yo scraps from that dress? That fabric is so adorable! We can fight out who gets the scraps later, for now just collect!

Kat said...

Wow Annee...you're ALMOST making me want to become a sewer like you (and my Mom). Serisouly, such cute dresses. Are these cheaper than something I could buy at Target? They're way cuter but I'm quite the tid wad.

Annee said...

The material for that dress cost me about $3. So that is cheaper than Target. But the problem is, it does take your time. So in that case, it has to fall in the category of a hobby that you love, otherwise you would not want to spend your time on it. I love doing it. The process is fun and theraputic. So I don't mind using my time on it.

P.S. I have TONS of scraps left from that dress. Just waiting until you can teach me how to make yo-yos.

Ie Li said...

So cute, as always.

Jana said...

Okay, Annee. You must stop. I'm tired of admiring all these cute dresses, skirts, lounge pants, curtains, aprons, etc, etc, etc. That apron dress takes the cake--SO cute.

I actually have this memory of one summer in Kensington when your Mom required you and Sarah to complete a sewing project--I think you both made some shorts. And you were so proud of them! And I remember thinking, oh Annee, you let your mom win WAY too easily. I was determined not to let my mom teach me how to sew. And now look at you--it comes so easily. What a fun hobby and skill to have.

Annee said...

Jana, I totally remember the summer I had to make those shorts. I also remember sitting next to you in Home Ec. as a 7th grade elective rotation. Didn't we have to sew canvas tote bags? And maybe pillow cases? I think that was the last time I took a sewing class, which means, you have all the same skills as me! Don't you remember that sewing class?

Jana said...

I'm sitting here smiling because I TOTALLY remember Home Ec and that sewing class. I do remember the tote bag and "letter" pillow case (I kept my "J" around for a long time). And I also remember you pulling the chair out from under the kid who always pestered us in class. I was shocked...I didn't think you had it in you. I can't remember his name. AND--did I ever tell you that Emily Silverman, who was in class with us--ended up going to Oberlin, too??? (She ended up going to a different high school, so I was totally surprised when I saw her on campus one day.) Isn't that random?

Ah, reminiscing...I love it.

Annee said...

His name was William, and I think until my death bed I will remember pulling the chair out from under him. He was so ANNOYING. But man, I felt terrible after I did that.

I didn't mention it before because I figured that was my own personal memory, since I've carried the guilt of that one all these years later! I remember Emily Silverman too. How funny.

Come on, don't you have a sewing machine? We learned almost everything you need to know to get started again, way back in that class! You can sew some skirts and dresses for your girls too!