Monday in D.C. was delicious because we put the "diet" aside and found ourselves in line at the Bethesda branch of Georgetown Cupcakes! Darin didn't think a stop at Georgetown Cupcake on a busy holiday was really necessary. He says he's sort of over the cupcake craze. But I'm not. I'm still busy sampling any and all cupcakes I hear generate a buzz, from West Coast to East Coast. I've been hearing about Georgetown Cupcakes for a while now, it was time for a sample.
BEFORE:
DURING:
AFTER:
How Darin didn't see Georgetown Cupcake as a necessary stop on our Monday agenda is still hard for me to understand! Though we all feel the need for a fresh sample from Sprinkles (it's been a while since our last sampling), most of us were prepared to crown Georgetown Cupcakes as the new favorite! Go try some the next time you're in Bethesda. The line is much shorter than the line in Georgetown. Hot tip from me to you.
But that's not really what made Monday sweet (it's what made Monday delicious). What made Monday sweet was the brief drive-through tour of some of my favorite childhood memories in Kensington, MD. We drove past our Kensington house:
I get a little teary eyed just looking at the picture now. So many amazing memories, mostly all full of happiness, all taking place within the walls of this house. On many days, I still feel like the little girl who lives there.
After driving by it several times, we went down the street to the grounds of the Washington D.C. temple and visitor center.
A few moments of wonder that I actually grew up on the same street as this most beautiful structure... Then, after walking through the Visitor Center, I think I actually had my kids impressed that I have had a pretty cool life!
Darin's choice of how to spend the remainder of our MLK day was to visit Arlington National Cemetery.
It was over cast and freezing. But none of us had ever been before, making it a necessary stop. It felt very significant to be there on this particular Monday.
Our kids learning about the Eternal Flame at the Kennedy grave site.
The boys were fascinated by the Tomb of the Unknowns. They endured a long twenty or so minutes in the freezing, just to see the changing of the guard:
And finally, our photog, who makes it all possible:
Martin Luther King Day might have just become my new favorite holiday. A more perfect weekend away couldn't have been conceived of. Sorry to my sibs that there aren't more photos of our fun times together. In those moments it feels artificial to pull out the camera, but to be sure, those are some of my most favorite moments. Thanks for a fabulous weekend.

5 comments:
those cupcakes look scrumptious!
What a wonderful weekend!
I'll go ahead and sample some Sprinkles cupcakes for you, but from the looks of it those Georgetown Cupcakes look like taste better!
What fun!
What a great day! I'm sad we missed out on that one. Thanks for visiting!
makes me homesick! it's always fun to show the kids stuff like that.
Post a Comment