On Monday morning around 6:10am, school was canceled. No two-hours-delayed, just canceled. One weird thing about that, there was no snow. There was only the prediction of snow. To be sure, there was snow in Atlanta, and that had us all spooked. It was okay, I turned my alarm off and slept in until 9.
Live weather cam, Monday morning:
Safety first.
Safety first.
Later that day I took the girls and went to Sam's Club, Target and JoAnn's, just like the olden days when I used to take them everywhere with me. It was nostalgic. But this time, they brought their Nintendo DS's along. At JoAnn's they opted to wait for me in the car, not wanting to turn off their games. At Sam's Club they opted to go buy their own pretzels with the $3 dollars I had in my wallet, not wanting to wait in line with me. Subtle differences, but all the same made me realize wistfully how grown up they are. I bought the pack that contains 6000 pieces of construction paper while at Sam's Club. That afternoon was mostly spent crafting away with a couple hundred pieces of construction paper. One old lady at Sam's Club saw my ginormous package of paper and said to me, "You must be a teacher". I laughed, "No, I just have four kids and we needed something to do this afternoon."
That afternoon, the boys had their first piano lesson in about six months. That made me feel like a good mother to finally figure that out again. Why it took so long to figure out is one of life's great mysteries.
Even later that day (it was a L O N G day), it finally started to snow. Around 7pm I got another call, canceling school for Tuesday. "Whatever", is all I had to say about that. But when I walked up to our neighborhood gym this morning, and nearly slipped on the ice 54 times, I decided today's school closure was necessary. The world is blanketed in a strange and somewhat thick layer of ice. No snow to really speak of, but dangerous ice.
When I got the call today around 6:35pm, again with the heads up that the kids will be home with me, for the third day in a row, I started dreaming about having Darin transfer to the University of Florida or something.
To keep myself entertained, I reupholstered my mom's chairs, again. The last time I did it was five years ago. The girls were babies! Babies. I can barely remember it, but I did it. All of it. Had lots of babies, reupholstered stuff, ran marathons, cooked, was happy. I should have been impressed with myself more often.
Before:
After:
Before:
After:
These new chairs make me happy. School being closed makes me less happy, but the kids are happy. I believe in happiness, do you?!
I thought this bird was beautiful:
What will entertain us on day three? Tell me, are you experiencing a series of unexpected snow days? I'm not complaining about the alarm being turned off.

5 comments:
Two years ago, a week before Christmas break, they started canceling school for "snow days" much like your first snow day, then the storm really hit and we were practically snowed in! But, it made Christmas break happen a whole week early. It was the ETERNAL wait for Christmas. Not a nice prank to play on moms with too many last minute errands to do! Good luck! I sympathize!
I can't believe those adorable bald headed babies can play DS and buy their own pretzels at Sam's Club!!
Love the new look on the chairs.
Sorry for so many snow days. At least you get to sleep in a little?!
Skye was supposed to start her new preschool this week, but we are on day 4 of our snow days. We did wake up to 6 inches Monday morning and have had a lot of fun. We only saw snow once in Savannah. Unfortunately, my kids are not old enough to let me sleep in. THAT would be fantastic! -Eliza
Same here, Annee, 3 days off school with a 2 hour delay today (the 4th day). Although we did have a ton of snow, which turned to slippery ice. I still think it's funny that the whole town shuts down. When McDonalds and Lowe's is closed, it must be serious! We just basically played the Wii for 3 days. Not my finest moment but you do what you've got to do to survive.
i just found your blog from brooke's...and read back until july 11th. because i have three sleeping kids and a bag of kettle korn, now finished, next to me. i love reading your insights. and now have lots of comments. a)i was going to comment on your chairs last night. they look great! b)mexican is my favorite food too. c) who did you get to teach your kids piano? melissa? d) i haven't been to 1/8th the restaurants here that you have. we need to bag the cpk and cheesecake factory and try some place new. e)i love that your family culture includes going on walks and hiking adventures! f)i didn't know that you hurt your foot. are you running again? are you going to do the races with some of the girls this april? g)are you still looking for after-school stuff for george? sister austin teaches an awesome art class from her home. i'm not sure if she's got space but it might be something worth looking into. now do i get an award for longest comment ever:)
Post a Comment