Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sitting around is for sissies...

Or, another possible title:
When you download 120 photos from your camera, you know it's time for a Blog post!

You decide.

Anyway, we're doing our best to make memories around here.  We are getting these cousins together as much as humanly possible.  We run ourselves to the point of exhaustion most day.  We fall into our beds well past 10pm most nights.  We sometimes don't climb out of our beds until well past 10am!  If this isn't what summer is made for, then I don't know what summer is made for.

Also, I've had a few dreams for my kids (they can thank me later).  I'm making some of them come true while we're here in Utah.  I'm dragging lots of people around with me along the way.  We are surrounded by good sports.

Did you know I've been living at my mom's house for 4 weeks now (with four kids and about 84 bags)?!  And did you know she's still acting like she hasn't noticed?!

I tell you what, if that isn't what a good sport is, well then I've never met a good sport in my life!

Here you go, dream number #1 that I made come true:  Take 8 children, two sisters and a grandma, and hike up "Y" mountain!!

Oh yes we did:


The thing about hiking "Y" mountain is that it's not that far.  Less than half a mile ROUNDTRIP.  So try not to feel too sorry for anyone, except Sarah who often carried two kids at a time.  But it's pretty steep.  In fact, it's very steep.  So while I generally don't feel sorry for this latest privileged generation, I'll hand it over to them for a steep hike up "Y" mountain.  The other thing about it, after you leave the parking lot, you never see the "Y" again until you are basically sitting on top of it.  It's hard to keep kids motivated when they've lost sight of the end goal.



You most definitely should not feel sorry for this guy, getting a ride wherever he goes!  How will he ever learn to walk on his own two feet?!  I'll make him hike it next summer! 



But once you actually reach the "Y", you basically feel like you can do anything!  Especially if you are 42" or less.  Jane completely impressed herself with this mountain climb.  She couldn't stop smiling.  Oh yeah, until it was time to walk back down, then she resumed complaining.


Our three boys, Oliver, George and Henry made it to the bottom of the "Y" from the path, and then were so excited that they had reached the end point that they climbed the face of the "Y" all the way to the top!  Sadly, Brenden, Sarah, Huck and June had to turn back.  Sometimes despite our best efforts we still have to accept defeat and say we'll come back again next time!


Though Grandma and Ruby thought they would never make it, by simply putting one foot in front of the other, they joined the rest of us for the most amazing view in Provo.  And, it's a good thing we brought grandma, she'd never been there before!!

 



A gorgeous moon climbing up over the mountain,


followed by a tremendous sunset over the lake


Followed by a giant snake slithering across the path,



Had everyone nearly convinced that I really had helped make one of their dreams that they never knew they had, come true.  You're welcome!



You'll want to come check in again soon to hear more about the next dream coming true, of taking the whole family (this time even convincing Grandpa) to go see the Mormon Miracle (Manti ) Pageant.  And how even though we got home at 2:30 am the one night, we were all gathered back up again by the following afternoon for a little bit of this:


And this,


And this,


And finally this!


And then how the day ended like this:


all impromptu and completely candid.  All lined up like they still loved and care for each other even after we keep dragging them all over creation.

So, in conclusion, let me just say, if the Garden of Eden herself is more beautiful than Sundance is right now, I probably wouldn't believe it.  It's that gorgeous.

Seriously, tune back in, there are about 73 other photos where these ones came from, and you won't want to miss the Manti recap!

3 comments:

Jan Hawkes said...

Thanks for posting the whole sequence of photos hiking to the Y. I feel like I can now say, "Been there." I had never even seen a photo of it before. Haley and her girlfriend hiked it once a week last summer and never took a camera. It was a feat for you to hike it, but it was a miracle that you did it with a camera and had the presence of mind to capture such gorgeous images too. Well done.

Liz said...

You make me miss Provo.

Kim said...

The Major must be so proud of your picture taking and documenting! Way to go.