How've we been spending our time you ask?
One week ago Darin's Grandpa Simmons passed away. It was somewhat unexpected, amplifying the sudden sorrow of the situation. He was a big character, full of life. I know I'm only married into the family but he made it easy to love him. And besides, word was he was a huge "Earnest Review" fan. Who's not going to love a man who read my blog?!
When Darin heard about his Grandpa, we both knew that he would want to be at the funeral. Luckily there was a flight leaveing the ROK about twelve hours later. He started making any arrangements he could to catch the flight and make his way to Utah for the funeral.
Althought it's sad to see a loved one pass on, isn't it ironic that funerals often prompt the most enjoyable of family reunions?!
Grandpa Simmons was in the Navy during WWII. To honor his memory, Darin wore his uniform for the day. I am partial, but he is so very handsome when in uniform:
The military honor at the graveside was one of the most moving parts of the day for me. I guess after 11 years of being a military family I am finally beginning to understand the magnitude of the sacrifice that all military families make. It's touching that there are Veterans all over the world who will come to funerals to pay their respects, even if they didn't know the person.
It was a busy couple of days, but we wouldn't have missed it for the world. What a treat to unexpectedly see so much of our family. It was great. We will all miss Grandpa Curly.
The day after the funeral, my parents took all the oldest grandkids up to spend a week at Aspen Grove Family Camp. We all went together three years ago, but this time my parents were offering to take the kids while giving the parents a few days all to ourselves! Darin overlapped with Aspen Grove for two days, so we had two amazing days of sleeping until 11am!! I haven't slept in that long since before I was married. Of course, staying up until 1 and 2 o'clock in the morning certainly helps you sleep in too. Because, it's the same weekend that our favorite Aunt Rachel came to town!
P.S. thanks to Darin's sister Alyssa (and one of his cousins) for the funeral photos. That day we were not remembering to get our camera out. I'm sure glad she thought of it!! Thanks Alyssa.


4 comments:
Darin looks fancy in his uniform, but you're looking smashing yourself in your kelly green coat and darling hair adornment!!
Now we know what Jane will look like when she gets older. Too cute and crazy how much Jane looks like Rachel.
I would steal Huck if I were you. Those eyes!!
Enjoy the silence!
Take a second look Liz, that is Ruby with aunt Rachel. I always thought Jane looked more like Rachel too. That's why this picture was such a surprise. They look like sisters, Rachel and Ruby.
I didn't even look that closely at first, I just assumed it was Jane. But, really it is Ruby that is Rachel long last twin. Maybe you could send me a picture of Jane and Rachel together, so I can compare?? j/k
Well I'm honored to be compared to EITHER fancy lady. They are so cute. I'm glad we all got to hang out!!
Post a Comment