Sunday, June 20, 2010

I've got some girls...

And now they have their ears pierced:


Jane all full of trepidation before she was to sit in the piercing chair.

Also this photo was taken just moments before Jane had a full on meltdown.  She's been wanting her ears pierced even more than Ruby.  She's been telling everyone that would listen about how she was getting her ears pierced when she moved back to America.  But suddenly when standing in the middle of Icing at the University Mall, on the actual day of the biggest event of her life, she was overcome with the greatest fear.

Before arriving at the mall, she told Ruby that Ruby would have to go first and tell her if it was going to hurt.  Ruby protested saying Jane made her go first when they got their kindergarten shots (and that's true).  So I sided with Ruby and told Jane she would have to go first.  But when it came right down to it, she melted, and could not bring herself to sit up in the chair.  

Ruby bravely and disgustedly climbed up in the chair to "go first" again.  Ironically, Jane is the one who was born first and often reminds Ruby of that.  But I guess being born first in the twin world really just gives you the authority of saying who goes first for what events, etc.


Ruby did not cry.  Neither would she lie to Jane and say that it didn't hurt.  In fact she told Jane that it hurt very much.  Which nearly made Jane back out once and for all.  Instead, I held her on my lap, and loaned her the courage to do what she wanted to do all along.  

She wailed and cried.  But mostly I think in a gush of relief that it was all over. 

Oh boy do they think they are fancy now!






The brothers came along.  They were equally fastinated and annoyed to be watching.

Before we left Icing, we all tried on pairs of fake reading glasses.  Henry told me I actually looked good in mine.  I may go back to Icing before leaving Utah and invest in my next hot fashion accessory:



When we had had all the fun a family of five can have at Icing in the University Mall in Orem, we left to go watch Toy Story 3 in 3D.

It was a lovely movie, and by the end when Andy was saying good-bye to his toys as he was heading off to college, I'll admit I was crying.  I mean, Toy Story was the very first kid DVD we ever bought, to be played in the very first DVD player we ever bought.   I feel like we've all grown-up together with that movie.  After this movie George admitted that he was crying at the part where it appeared that all the toys were going to be incinerated at the city dump.  I questioned if he was actually crying or if he was just worried.  He confirmed that indeed he had a tear he had to wipe off of his cheek.  And he was not too embarrassed to admit it.  I'm telling you, it was a good movie.

And that's how we spent the weekend together after the kids returned from their week of family camp with Grandma and Grandpa.  It was the grandest sort of weekend.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh this is good....I'm so glad both girls got their ears pierced...it is truly a moment of their childhood they'll always remember. We to went to Toy Story 3 this weekend in 3D, and we too were pretty emotional. It was a GREAT movie though...even if it cost us $93 to see it. Ninety-three dollars! and that was just for the tickets. That's when you know you've had enough children...when it costs you almost a hundred dollars to see a movie!

Annee said...

Brooke, I thought I was suffering when I had to pay $70 to go see the matinee. That didn't include Darin, but it did include the refillable popcorn bucket (although in Utah you only get one refill!). It's darn expensive to go to the movies now. Or, yes, we both have too many kids :)

Liz said...

Dear Jane and Ruby,

You are my favorite friends and you are the sweetest girls.

Love,

Grace

Jane and Ruby,

You girls are so brave! I love your fancy new earrings!!

Love,

Liz