The trip was sponsored by the company that brings in the Korean produce to our commissary on base. The whole trip was free and paid for by this company, and we were just along for the ride. Everywhere we went we were escorted by these business guys in suits and ties, wondering if we were having a good time.
I find it a fascinating business practice. It's so generous and thoughtful. Somehow I can't really picture any execs from Del Monte taking two bus loads of Americans around to strawberry farms, and out to lunch for a day of fun. But maybe it happens? Whether it happens or not, I love these types of cultural experiences for the sake of the children. These are the types of days that I hope they won't ever forget about living in Korea. Henry even got interviewed by the local Korean news show while he was picking his strawberries. They asked him if they "had these things" in America. He said, "Yeah, I think so." I think they were a little disappointed in that answer. Then they wanted him to eat a strawberry on TV, but he hates strawberries, so he told them "no". Then the interview was over. I'm not sure if he made it on the evening news, but that's funny, all the same.
Back on the bus after picking strawberries, to move on to lunch. Between George and I, it felt like we ate an entire hot house worth of strawberries, so we weren't starving...
But since it was some of the best bulgogi we've had, we went ahead and made room for it!
Sadly (?) no one made any room for these fellas.
But I couldn't help it, this was by far my favorite part of the museum:
Tell me you agree?!
After the museum, it was onto the actual strawberry festival. Where I was too tired to take anymore pictures, and a substantial group of my kids cried over not getting cotton candy. It had been a longer than expected day, so we were probably all a bit too tired for the strawberry festival. But I won't soon forget the live entertainment of a guy dressed up like a lady singing really badly, and dancing all around, seemingly to the great delight of the huge crowd gathered around him, who appeared to be taking his act very seriously.
Oh Korea, how I will miss you so!
Thanks Korea Produce Guys, for a fabulous first day of Spring Break! We will totally buy your produce the next time we're at the commissary. Your strawberries were literally the best strawberries I've eaten in my entire life. I will never forget that about you! (Even though I can't remember the name of their company!!)
Onto Mt. Seorak in the morning!!

5 comments:
what a fun day! I love that your last days in Korea are filled with such pleasant memories. We had some Bul go gi last night also! Some great memories along with it. The taste of the ?noodle sprout things took me right back to Korea!
I just read the news that you are moving to North Carolina! I am so excited for you guys! NC is awesome. That is where Ray is from. The people there are super nice and friendly. I will be in Raleigh in July. Will you be there by then?
Delicious! What a yummy way to spend your day!
Those little Korean kids are adorable! Maybe I should adopt one.
I would love to taste the best strawberries you've ever tasted. We've had some bad ones recently.
I loved the update.
Oh my goodness that picture of the girls in the strawberry fields is like the perfect marketing photo for this company. You should figure out their name and submit to them.
And Henry's teeth look so straight.
Those korean kids are adorable in their matching jumpsuits. Do they wear those every day to school or just on field trips? So cute.
I can't believe your time is almost up. Way to live it up.
Post a Comment